invalid axis error

gargoyle27

so after drawing a fairly complicated part (lots of holes arranged on a flat face) i get an error saying "invalid axis/origin" what does this mean and how do i fix it?

i read somewhere that it could be due to the fact that i made the sketches for the holes directly on the face of the part as opposed to using a work plane, but is there a way to fix it with out having to draw it all over again?

here's a picture of the error, and you can see in the background the holes, so i really don't want to have to draw it again

invalid axis error.jpg

You can redifine the coordinate system, but I would have to see the file to tell you the steps. (particularly since your part is basically a cylinder - rather than having straight edges)

I never ever see this error in my work. I see it occasionally in my student's work. How they got to that point as always a convoluted mess.

Roll up the EOP.

Zip and attach the file here.

yeah, see the way i started this model was i took an autocad drawing and copied it into inventor, since i already know the autocad version is correct (plus, its how the previous drafter did it, he just did it exceptionally poorly) then i made individual sketches for each type of hole (there are four different types, but only 3 threaded and therefore 3 sketches hence the three errors i'm sure) so it might have stemmed from using a copied autocad drawing, i'd never done it before but seemed to be the best/fastest way

i could send you the model if you could help me figure it out

i may want to start from scratch anyway, part of the problem might be that nothing is constrained in the original sketch, i had never left a sketch unconstrained like that, but with that many holes i didn't feel like taking however many hours it would take to do it, but if that's what it takes, maybe i will

..., but with that many holes i didn't feel like taking however many hours it would take to do it, but if that's what it takes, maybe i will

Hours? It should take minutes to constrain. First thing I would do is delete what I assume you are importing as multiple circles from AutoCAD (once I know the pitch) Then I would have ONE construction centerpoint for EACH type of hole (from your description that sound like a circle for the OD of the part and three centerpoints total in one sketch). From your image it looks like maybe some direction vectors (or arcs, can't quite tell).

I would then create one hole of each type and Pattern Feature as needed.

EOP - End of Part marker. In the feature browser you will see a red End Of Part marker. Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features from the graphics window. Save the file. Right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

i used the original from autocad (yes, lots of circles) and made the circles smaller, then extruded it, and using the same center points as the extruded holes used the hole tool and threaded them etc, making a new sketch for each type of thread

ok, maybe not hours, but there are 180 holes, of 4 different types, that's a heck of a lot of dimensions, i think i might just re do it, and for that i'll sketch each type of hole, drill, thread etc., and then circular pattern it around, and then do that again for the next type of hole, that'll mean way less dimensions (it's the same 30 holes 6 times) quite a few more functions as i've used now, but if the error is because the original sketch is unconstrained it seems like the easiest way to get it to work, unless you have another idea

huh, well i'm done, i redrew it, it wasn't as painful as i thought, no errors or anything, as always, thanks for your help JD :D

sometimes i think i work too efficiently, now i don't know what i'm going to do for the next few hours...