Fatal Error: Reading Violation; Need help, on a deadline!

Maverik

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and unfortunately it is a error I keep getting when I open one particular drawing. Here is a brief history:

I work in the Geomatics field, and create drawings representing legal surveys. All of my post processing work is completed in AutoCAD 2008 Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion. Everything was going fine until 2 days ago.

I receive an attached drawing from a power company outlining easements for a subdivision we are helping to develop. It is my responsibility to isolate each lot and create a legal survey of the same. Problem is, whenever I try to open the attached drawing I receive a Fatal Error: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0xffffffffffc Exception at 78bf321bh. The program then proceeds to terminate. I have received drawings from this company before, and had no problems opening the same. I have no problems opening any other drawing, and I have ~5000 different drawings to choose from. Thinking it may be this one computer, I attempted to open the file at home, on my desktop, on which I am running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010. The same problem with the same error. I then proceeded to download TrueView, to try to convert the file to a different format. I could open the file, and see the complete drawing, but every time I tried to convert, it would be unsuccessful due to 'a disk writing error or corrupt file'.

I have contacted the company, and they have no problems opening the file. I contacted a friend with the town, and after recovering the file, they have no problems opening it. I attempted to recover the drawing.

The drawing could not be recovered was the message that was presented to me after about 25 seconds of scanning. Back to square one.

I proceeded to contact the same friend, asking if he could resave the recovered drawing, and email it to me. Alas, I cannot open this drawing either, I get the same error.

I am in dire straits here, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be on the forums throughout the day tomorrow, to respond to any feedback on what may be causing this error.

Thank you for your time and my apologies for the wall of text,

Barry

Have you tried researching the error message either at the AutoDesk website itself or a general Internet-wide search?

I have, to no avail. I have found a way to bypass it, however. I used the master drawing (what was sent to the company for designing of easements) and had a friend who had no trouble opening it select similar from the easement drawing, and paste it into the master drawing.

That being said, I am interested to know why this happened and the fix for if it happens again.