Tool bar icon for WBLOCK , GROUP etc.?

CalypsoArt

When we had AC2008 I had created toolbar icons for WBLOCK and for GROUP with the 2 different pickstyles (I think that's what it was) However, Since moving to 2010 and a new machine I can't remember how I did it. A current project has me using WBLOCK a lot and I'd like to create that icon again. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackBox

• toberino

• CalypsoArt

• Cad64

*IF* you still have access to your AC2008 Support directory (or your network assigned folder for Icons?):

C:\Program Files\[color=red]AC2008[/color]\Support\

Then you would identify the icons, and copy them into your new AutoCAD Icon folder (...\Support\, perhaps?), and in the CUI editor assign the Icons to your command macros.

Hope this helps!

Nope. The old machine is dead and was a standalone. Other than accounting and I, everyone else in the office uses Macs and Vectorworks.

I'm not sure if I'm expressing my question correctly. What I cant figure out is how I created the whole thing. I remember going into "customize" finding the command, assigning an icon, and then dragging to a toolbar. However, I cannot find the commands WBLOCK or GROUP under the customize list of commands. Though they are obviously there as I can enter them at the command line.

If you are unable to see the wblock command in the command list (inside the CUI editor) then make sure you categories is set to "All Commands" as wblock displays for me.

Are you simply trying to get these two commands dragged to a toolbar, or are you attempting to make a custom macro?

I had "all commands" set which is why I was lost. I expected all the commands to show. However, after some more internet searching I finally figured it out! I first needed to add the command. (Lower pane in customize.) From there I was able to add an Icon and then drag to a toolbar. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Just a quick question if I may....when you drag and drop the command from the command list you are essentially cutting and pasting the command, right? Because I no longer have that command in the command list after doing that. I am trying to make several buttons to insert several different blocks. But, when I copy the command it changes all of the buttons. What am I missing?

Just a quick question if I may....

"No [Questions] for YOU!"

... I just couldn't help myself. :lol:

When you add a command from the command list to a toolbar, I believe that you are only *linking* or *mapping* the command to the button. I have never had a command *disappear* from the command list due to my adding it to a toolbar (just confirmed this before my post).

I create my new toolbar, in the toolbar node of my CUI file, then select the command I want and click+hold drag it to the right side of my toolbar, until I see the black triangle, then let go. Done. The command has been added to my toolbar, and is still highlighted in my command list.

Hope this helps!

"No [Questions] for YOU!"

... I just couldn't help myself. :lol:

When you add a command from the command list to a toolbar, I believe that you are only *linking* or *mapping* the command to the button. I have never had a command *disappear* from the command list due to my adding it to a toolbar (just confirmed this before my post).

I create my new toolbar, in the toolbar node of my CUI file, then select the command I want and click+hold drag it to the right side of my toolbar, until I see the black triangle, then let go. Done. The command has been added to my toolbar, and is still highlighted in my command list.

Hope this helps!

OK. I took it back to square one and started over.

So, after you have done that once. Make adjustments to the macro and button image and watch what happens. It completely modifies that command. But what if you need several instances of inserting a block with different buttons and images?

So, after you ... Make adjustments to the macro and button image ... It completely modifies that command.

Yes, that is 100% correct.

Again, the command is only *mapped* to the toolbar button. Modification of the command within the button, modifies the original command (note to self - always backup the CUI!).

But what if you need several instances of inserting a block with different buttons and images?

If one desires multiple adaptations of a command, then one *should* create a new command for each of the desired functions.

For example:

Create a new command (with a unique name), then copy + paste the original macro into the new command's macro field as a starting point, and modify to suite.

Repeat for as many adaptations as you require, and consider making unique icon images as well.

A current project has me using WBLOCK a lot and I'd like to create that icon again. Any help would be appreciated.

Keyboard W for Wblock

Keyboard G for Group

Much faster than clicking buttons. :wink:

Keyboard W for Wblock

Keyboard G for Group

Much faster than clicking buttons. :wink:

Yes, but the OP wanted toolbars.

While I subscribe to your suggested method, it requires either a custom defun (ACADDOC.lsp?), or PGP modification. :wink:

Yes, that is 100% correct.

Again, the command is only *mapped* to the toolbar button. Modification of the command within the button, modifies the original command (note to self - always backup the CUI!).

If one desires multiple adaptations of a command, then one *should* create a new command for each of the desired functions.

For example:

Create a new command (with a unique name), then copy + paste the original macro into the new command's macro field as a starting point, and modify to suite.

Repeat for as many adaptations as you require, and consider making unique icon images as well.

OK. Please do this for to test this out because while your logic makes sense and I understand what you are saying, it is not working like that.

This is what I did and if you could do the same to test it would be appreciated.

Step1: copy the insert block command three times to a new tool bar called blocks. The insert block command remains in the command list for now.

Step 2: selecting each of the new commands, change the display name. for me it was inlet Grate, manhole, and tree.

Step 3: change the macro of the first one to point to a block of your choice. Mine is ^C^C_insert;"Tree Block.dwg";scale;1;

Step 4: select the second one and look at what the macro is. It is the same for the third as well. If you change the macro for either of them it will change all three of them.

I've got to be missing something....

For example:

I didn't read this correct the first time. "Create a new command"....duh...Thank you renderman for helping me problem solve this. I got it now.

I know you must be getting tired of this, so one last time, follow me...

Step1: copy the insert block command three times to a new tool bar called blocks. The insert block command remains in the command list for now.

Stop. You've already made a mistake.

Do not paste the new command three times, only do this once... for each command at a time.

That may be confusing, so stay with me... To demonstrate, please get to this point again by following your steps to this point (paste the command all three times).

Step 2: selecting each of the new commands, change the display name. for me it was inlet Grate, manhole, and tree.

Before you begin to rename/modify your three newly pasted commands, please note that when you select any of them, they all reference (in the command list) the same command (probably with some sort of Custom or User CUI source instead of the ACAD CUI).

Now, please modify your first command (in the toolbar), revising the Name, Command Name, and Description. Look back at the command list... notice anything?

When you modified the command name of your first toolbar command instance (of the three pasted), you've completely changed the command. So what about the second command?

If you select the second command for your toolbar, what does the command name say? It says the command name from the first command modified, which does not match the name given to the pasted command.

:: STARTING OVER... again ::

Create a second, empty toolbar, for us to compare.

Copy the insert block command (from the ACAD CUI source), and paste it once into your new, empty toolbar.

Modify the command's Name, Command Name, and Description (you can come back and do your Macros at the end).

Now, paste the copied command into your toolbar a second time, and modify as described above.

Now, paste the command for the third (and final?) time, and modify... etc.

All *should* be working now (without duplicating any mapped commands), no? 8)

Edit: You're welcome, I'm glad to help.

Doh! I didn't realize you had already received your "Ah, ha!" moment, prior to finishing my last post... :lol: lol

Oh, well... maybe it will help someone else!?

Alright, I successfully created all of my buttons and toolbar. Now, I would like to share it with several other computers. What would be the best way to go about this?

OK, I apoligize. I asked this question before I googled for the answer. Mission accomplished, kinda. I had no problems setting up the other 2010 computers, but I have one that is 2004. And, unfortunetely I am stuck with 2004 and it is used quite often. Political reasons. Is there a way to make this toolbar work in 2004?

Is there a way to make this tool bar work in 2004?

The short answer is... Yes.

The only caveat would be that you must be using 2004 compatible commands, variables, functions, etc. (in your tool bar macros).

:: CUSTOMIZATION PORTABILITY ::

First, I would recommend that you store all of your customizations within a separate 'Custom' CUI file, which is loaded into your Main CUI as a partial. This allows all of your customizations to be portable between machines, users, software versions, etc.

Second, consider the customizations you have stored within your 'Custom' CUI file... *IF* they are version dependent (they contain commands or variables which are not included within the older software version), then you may need to either (a) create a second 'Custom2004' CUI (for example, if the CUI files are in the same custom support directory), or (b) establish a second customization support directory structure.

My employer uses the latter example, where we have an entire customization directory structure (for CUI, LSP, SCR, etc.), which has been mapped into the AutoCAD support path, which resides on its own server, and is available to us via our Windows login on any machine, in any office, etc. so it is extremely portable.

:: HOW TO TRANSFER CUI COMPONENTS ::

As always, the AutoCAD Help file is a great resource, look under:

• AutoCAD Help > Customization Guide

In short... *IF* you find that you need to create a second 'Custom2004' CUI file, this can be done simply from within the CUI editor. Using the transfer tab, on the left open your 'Custom' CUI file. On the right side create a new, empty CUI file and save it as 'Custom2004', then select the handful of items you want from the left side, and drag them to their respective category on the right (you should again see the black arrow symbol).

Save once you copied over your 2004 compatible customizations, and load them as a partial for your 2004 applications Main CUI file. Revise the user workspaces as needed, or include them in your 'Custom2004' CUI file.

Yes, but the OP wanted toolbars.

While I subscribe to your suggested method, it requires either a custom defun (ACADDOC.lsp?), or PGP modification. :wink:

G is the default alias for Group and W is the default alias for Wblock. No modification needed.