Layers Locked together

lewysr

Hi guys, well here is to my first post as a member.

I have a CAD drawing in work, using AutoCAD 2009,

There are a lot of layers on there, but I'm finding that I cannot select a layer, it seemxs to be highlighting a few layers on the drawing.

Is it possible to remove this relationship between the layers so that I can easily turn on and off?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi guys, well here is to my first post as a member.

I have a CAD drawing in work, using AutoCAD 2009,

There are a lot of layers on there, but I'm finding that I cannot select a layer, it seemxs to be highlighting a few layers on the drawing.

Is it possible to remove this relationship between the layers so that I can easily turn on and off?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are dealing with xrefs you can use the xlist command to find out what a layer name is. You can also use layfrz or layiso and select on an object on a layer you would like to freeze. The above works with blocks as well.

Thanks for the replies.

There is a layer labeled xrefs, is it possible to split them from this x ref and so that i can move individual layers / elemnts etc, and easily delete and alter as I would if all the layers where seperate and not linked?

This can be done, but undoing xref files may not be the thing to do. Where did the file come from? Does your office use xrefs? Binding and exploding the xref file will eliminate the automatic updating that xrefs bring to the table.

If you are sure it is ok to do what you are wanting, then use the xrefmanager, bind, insert option, then explode.

Yes it should be fine.

The file is of a site layout and will only be used by myeslf now. Currently using it to pull off coordinates etc.

Just 1 question, if I explode, will this split say a dashed line into many seperate lines? Hope I have ecplained that correctly.

Thanks for your help on this.

No the lines will remain a single entity and will not explode to separate pieces. Remember, with any file always make a copy and work on that, experiment, whatever, if you don't like the results make another copy and try again. Always keeping the original as is just in case.

would it be easier for you to use blocks instead of xrefs, with the new block editor i would get a hold of your xref drawing itself and make it a block then import that 2 your drawing, this will illiminate the needfor the xref altogther also if you need to change anything on your block just use the block manager.

also this will allow you to turn off certain layers of lines you do not wish to see whilst not actually deleting them