Multiple sheets. Single or multiple DWG files?

uhcafigdc

If you are doing an architectural project that has something like 15 sheets that go with it (floor plan, elevations, MEP, HVAC, etc) would you create one DWG file with several sheets, or would you create 15 DWG files?

I suppose it depends on the computer I'm using. The file size of a single drawing with multiple layouts could get fairly large and negatively affect the performance of an entry level computer. In that case I'd elect to create multiple drawings and assemble them using the Sheet Set Manager.

Oh wow, AutoCAD's Sheet Set Manager looks awesome. Good answer; thanks.

Yeah, it's probably the best single feature they have added since 3D. Sure saved my boodeebox a few times.:sweat:

That's great. I've just recommended and got thanks for suggesting a feature that I've never had an opportunity to use! :lol:

I think the most sheets we ever had to assemble together was three. We do a lot of one-offs.

That's great. I've just recommended and got thanks for suggesting a feature that I've never had an opportunity to use! :lol:

I think the most sheets we ever had to assemble together was three. We do a lot of one-offs.

My record is 41 11x17 layouts in one sheet set, 39 from one dwg, and 2 from a revision set. All one job. Office building remodel. Lobby wall paneling, reception desks and 20 or so work stations. My eyes are still bleeding, but the work looks great in place.

• 2 weeks later...

I do a little of both, as my typical project will have over 200 sheets, I think it depends on your needs as too the application between the two options.

Like daniel we split jobs sometimes but we can do it for a civil road project 3dwgs, layouts, long sections, cross sections it just makes the dwg's smaller the master design though is in the layout dwg and the others are copied out and removed from layout. We had 51 sheets. Most jobs though under 10 sheets.

I would look at using xrefs to group your drawings so that you dont have any un necessary info in a dwg do the elevations really need to live in the floor plan dwg but xref in the base part of the floor plan so everything lines up.

• 2 months later...

We split all our stuff. Every sheet in the set is a seperate file. Our reason is to allow multiple users to work on the project, some times we will put 4 or 5 drafters on a single project. We call it "crunch time". :wink:

We also use the Sheet Set Manager to pull everything together. I think our record was somewhere around 150 sheets in just the architectural, the complete project was about 450. Projects like that can not be in one single file and we do quite a bit of those projects or at least close to that size.

My system has evolved over the years but mirrors one I created for multi-story work before the advent of 3D models.

Each floor is a discreet model. For alignment of multi-story buildings I create and xref into the model file the column grid and vertical transportation elements such as elevators and stairs.

Each final model is xref'd into a clean file that is where all the text and the viewport box resides. Each text file matches one particular final sheet. The viewport boxes are used because I extract multiple scales of various plan segments out of an individual model. If the scale of the enlarged plan rises to that of being a detail rather than a plan I will add the bits that go behind the plane of the paint such as GWB, studs and such as a separate model before creating the text and dimensions file.

These final text files, with all background information, are then xref'd into a final sheet in model space with my border, border text, sheet numbers etc in paper space.

I am currently working on a small restaurant in a three story building and am up to 46 sheets so far from 5 models (four plan models and one for all interior elevations) and one text file per final sheet. I also have a model for the FF&E, for the equipment, and various poche' models for the hatch used to distinguish the various materials in RCPs and Demolition drawings. I separate the hatch, so the overhead only affects one sheet.

My daughter swears by sheet sets, and although I learned a good bit about them at AI, I have never implemented them in my practice as I am self employed and work by myself at the moment. I'm sure I will move that way when the economy comes back and I hire someone.