Protect block from being exploded

lfe011969

Ok so I'm steaming mad and I need some help. I'm currently heading up a project that consists of 43 drawings in all disciplines and we had a preliminary design review Friday. We realized last minute that we needed to put a "PRELIMINARY" watermark on all sheets of every drawing so I came up with a script/lisp solution to insert this block onto every sheet of every drawing within a folder. After running the script on the first folder I went to check the drawings to make sure it had worked and that's when it all went down hill.

First, the script inserted the block at the same coordinates on every layout tab which is based on the bottom left corner of our format being at (0,0). Upon opening the first drawing I found the person who worked this particular drawing hadn't followed procedures and the format on every layout sheet but the first was everywhere but at (0,0) (i.e. SH 02 was somewhere near -6,23; SH 03 was near 5,45; etc.).

Secondly upon realizing the format on two layouts were incorrect, I wanted to replace these formats with the right one, however when I went to select the format to delete it I discovered that the format had been exploded :reallymad:. Before this discovery , in the back of my mind I had been thinking how could this drawing have two different versions of the same format since they are named the same (one superseded the other). Now I know why.

The format being inserted into the wrong origin is a process problem as the user simply did not insert new sheets the correct way. The format block being exploded is somewhat similar but it's also different as the user took the inappropriate extra step of exploding the block.

So my question is this: Is there a way, lisp or otherwise, to prevent a block from being exploded? I know we could just XREF in our format to protect it but I'm not too familiar with how that works when we have to send the drawing out to our customers.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Lonnie

So my question is this: Is there a way, lisp or otherwise, to prevent a block from being exploded? I know we could just XREF in our format to protect it but I'm not too familiar with how that works when we have to send the drawing out to our customers.

As mentioned, you can uncheck the "Allow Exploding" checkbox, but anyone else can simple check it on again.

You can MINSERT the block with 1x1 spacing (MInsert's can't be exploded), but a user can simply delete the MInsert and replace it with a new copy of the block.

A block can easily be edited using BEDIT without exploding.

Etc., etc.

If a user is determined, there isn't much you can do.

It's more of a user training/education/policy issue.

As far as xrefs, the same problems exist - except that you could place the xref drawing in a read only location, preventing it from being changed.

Regarding sending out to customers, just use eTransmit to package up the drawings and if you are concerned they won't get it right on their end, use the option to bind the xrefs.

I know we could just XREF in our format to protect it but I'm not too familiar with how that works when we have to send the drawing out to our customers.

I'd look into the command Etransmit when sending drawings to clients. It is the best way to ensure you are giving the client everything they need to view the drawings.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old post lfe011969 but do you want a move all layout tabs title block to 0,0 I yell loudly here when our guys do it but have no control over consultants who I yell at even more. just post here