Scaling and dimensioning question

warbeetle

Hi all.

I have a complete gearbox drawing from a previous work and I would like to use it again but with different dimensions.

If I edit the dimensions and enter different values its not enough because when I hit the inquiry tab and dimension, obviously it will be the old measure value.

My question would be how to change the whole drawing to a new dimension values?:unsure:

I think there is no need to redone the whole gearbox again with new dimensions.

My drawing is in metric (millimeters).

I hope I was understandable.

Help anyone. Thank You.

Dex.

Welcome to the CADTutor forum warbeetle.

Did all the dimensions change by the same percentage? Example: Did they all increase 10%?

Hi and thanks for the response. I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by this. All I need is a small tutorial how to change the dimensions of a drawing to some new one ( not one, but all the dimensions). I even downloaded the " auto cad 2011 for dummies" :D but I can't find the solution. I admit, I am not an expert in cad :)

The drawing is 1:1 and made in model space.

Probably your best bet would be to use the ®eference option in the scale commend. Draw a line of a known dimension of one of the parts and use it to scale the whole gearbox. You could also use the Block and Scale option, however, this usually is preferred for simple objects rather then complex parts.

Good Luck

KC

Invoke the scale command.

Select your objects.

Pick a basepoint.

Enter the scale factor. Ex. 2 (for twice as big) or .5 for half as large.

Have you calculated what scale factor you'll need?

To ReMark and nestly: Yes this what I wanted. Thank You both :)

To kencaz: I have read about this reference line before but I will need to do some practice with this one. I will certainly try. :)

I'm sorry if I ask newbies questions. I'm trying to learn this program to be an expert.

I will probably have more questions soon :)

Cheers!

With the exception of JD Mather and maybe one other person we were all newbies at one time or another so there is no need to apologize for being a newcomer to AutoCAD. Been there...messed that up myself. Just keep asking your questions and practicing your skills. And hurry up at becoming an expert. Then we can sit back and let you answer all the questions while we drink beer and argue about sports. LOL

To kencaz: I have read about this reference line before but I will need to do some practice with this one. I will certainly try. :)

Here is a simple example using Reference option:

scale.gif

KC

Thank you kencaz :) Excellent example!

I have questions for you. Those 3d models, that you have on youtube, were made in inventor or auto cad? Is inventor better for 3d?

PS.

It is really nice to be a part of a community where a person get actually help and not being criticized for being a noob.

Thank you kencaz :) Excellent example!

I have questions for you. Those 3d models, that you have on youtube, were made in inventor or auto cad? Is inventor better for 3d?

PS.

It is really nice to be a part of a community where a person get actually help and not being criticized for being a noob.

Both actually. And I do some comparisons using both on the same models. I use Inventor Pro 2009 and AutoCAD 2010 for 3D models. Both have their places, however, Inventor was pretty much created for 3D modeling and as such has a lot of capabilities AutoCAD lacks. I am faster in AutoCAD and do most of my concept work their, however, the final models are usually always done in Inventor, as I have more control over design changes.

KC

• 2 years later...