Can Look-up and/or Visibility State *grips* be rotated by a rotation action?

YosemiteSam

Hi All

Been tearing my hair out over this one...:reallymad:

If you set a Visibility State and some Look-Ups in a dynamic block and then a set a rotation set to rotate the block that they manipulate, the grips don't seem to rotate with the block-body elements. Is there a way to change this?

I have ensured that the grips are included in the Rotate Action's Selection Set [and vice versa] but it doesn't seem to help. I've also resorted to creating a new rotation sets that are only set to rotate the grips, chained to the main rotation set, and that doesn't work either...

The fact that they highlight when you click the Rotation Action, suggests that they have been included.

Maybe I'm just trying to solve something I simply can't. Or I'm being a numb-nuts and missing something really obvious.

Can anyone confirm if you can rotate these elements?

Please.

Thanks

x

[i assumed that not knowing this automatically put me in the beginners' section; if there's a better thread to use, just let me know...]

maybe this has been changed (I'm on 2008 ) but I just drew a couple of rectangles and added a visibility parameter, positioned on one corner of a rectangle. I then added a rotate parameter and action to rotate the rectangle with the visibility parameter and included the parameter in my selection. Now when I rotate using the rotate parameter the rectangle AND the visibility parameter rotate. The visibility parameter stay attached to the rectangle corner. Is that what you are after or hav eI miss understood your request?

[i assumed that not knowing this automatically put me in the beginners' section; if there's a better thread to use, just let me know...]

Its not really that important where you post general questions, most of us just use the "new posts" button and don't pay much attention to what area is being used. The important thing is not to post the same question in lots of different sections.

Edited by dbroada

maybe this has been changed (I'm on 2008 ) but I just drew a couple of rectangles and added a visibility parameter, positioned on one corner of a rectangle. I then added a rotate parameter and action to rotate the rectangle with the visibility parameter and included the parameter in my selection. Now when I rotate using the rotate parameter the rectangle AND the visibility parameter rotate. The visibility parameter stay attached to the rectangle corner. Is that what you are after or hav eI miss understood your request?

Morning Dave

You're right and no, you didn't misunderstand; that is exactly what I was trying to do...

I just made a really simple block like you did and it does behave as I hoped mine would. Hmmm, where then have I gone wrong in my block?:cry:

Ok, I've attached two blocks here. 'Circle or Square' is the tester described above and 'Parcan for Forum' is the one I'm actually struggling with...

Parcan for forum.dwg

If you can shed any light on where I went wrong, I'd be truly grateful...

Thanks

circle or square.dwg

is there any chance that you can save those down a version? I can only open files up to V2007.

Of course, there is still the possibility that this is something 2008 does and 2010 doesn't.

Interesting....

The visibility grip stays locked to the TL corner of the box as you rotate it. That implies it is a 2010 "improvement". There are a few people with experience of dynamic blocks on 2010 here so hopefully one of those will be along to help you.

Out of interes, I assume it doesn't work for you in the saved down version?

Interesting....

The visibility grip stays locked to the TL corner of the box as you rotate it. That implies it is a 2010 "improvement". There are a few people with experience of dynamic blocks on 2010 here so hopefully one of those will be along to help you.

Out of interest, I assume it doesn't work for you in the saved down version?

Good line of thought but alas no, the same things happen in both 2010 and 2007 versions.

The thing that bugs me is that I can get the simple block to behave but not my more complex one. That suggests to me that it is something I've done wrong, somewhere in the process of adding fancy bits... It feels like we can rule out compatibility or changes to 2010's way of handling blocks. [maybe]

I'm going to keep adding elements to the circle and square block to see if I can break it, then I might know what screwed mine up...

Thanks for your time, Dave. If you get a brain wave; I'm all ears...

Anyone with 2010 able to scrutinise the attachments?

Thanks.

oops, I misread your previous post saying the simple one works and the complex one doesn't. I have a bit of work to do right now but I'll try and have another look soon. Mind you, it is Friday so I'm off soon too.

glad you returned before I went home. No point feeling smug if you don't think anybody will notice.

I was confused as to why the grip was wobbling rather than moving (or staying where it was) so started clicking random things. I noticed that the label for the grip wasn't particularly close to the grip itself so after a bit of experimentation I found that moving the label on to the grip produced the desired result. I also moved the associated actions onto the grips so the block is pretty messy now bbut I don't know if that was need or not.

*slightly embarrassed* I was sitting there refreshing the page for an hour or so to se if you'd come back. Then noticed we'd gotten onto page two... oops.:oops:

You've every right to be smug, that's genius.

To memory I wasn't very careful in planning this block. I sort of used it as a learn-as-I-go thing, so I'd added a few dynamic bits, played with it then thought, 'hang on I could add a...'. So as it evolved I moved stuff about and that seems to be where I went wrong. Forward planning! Lesson learned...

Ok, I'll go over it when I can give it my full attention and try and replicate your fix myself.

I'm glad you are finishing work early, you deserve it after that!

Thanks Dave.

[i might be back on Monday if I end up not-getting-it though...]

Have a great weekend.

Yup, just had a quick go [couldn't resist and am now late for something!] worth it though, that's has totally made my day, thanks again...

I think I deserve to go home early every day :D

looking at that block I may well be asking you about lookup actions! Most people on the forum are self taught on dynamic blocks (certainly the instructor we had come in to update us didn't know how to use them) so there are lots of little things that can trip you up. They never *quite* do what you want them to. But isn't it satisfying when you get one right.

Have a good weekend yourself.