Area Square feet

cadmando2

Hi all.

My cousin came across this area square feet lisp routine that I like but it doesn’t to seem the work with 2004 and 2008. It would a great tool to use. I tried to modified it but I am still learning lisp & VBA.

It is giving a false dimension. It would be nice if it were in architectural & feet.

The DDAREA program creates a lwpolyline and insert text with the area square feet. But when you list the lwpolyline you get different measurement.:o

It would be nice if it were in architectural & feet.

Could anyone help fix this issue or has anyone seen a program like this that works in Autocad ver 2004 & 2008?

My Cousin told me it was for AutoCAD 2000 Ver.

Thanks

DDAREA.JPG

DDAREA.dcl

DDAREA.lsp

Edited by cadmando2

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Buzzard

• cadmando2

• BlackBox

• alanjt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all.

My cousin came across this area square feet lisp routine that I like but it doesn’t to seem the work with 2004 and 2008. It would a great tool to use. I tried to modified it but I am still learning lisp & VBA.

It is giving a false dimension. It would be nice if it were in architectural & feet.

The DDAREA program creates a lwpolyline and insert text with the area square feet. But when you list the lwpolyline you get different measurement.:o

It would be nice if it were in architectural & feet.

Could anyone help fix this issue or has anyone seen a program like this that works in Autocad ver 2004 & 2008?

Thanks

[ATTACH]24400[/ATTACH]

Can you post the routine?

I just found it on Cadalyst.

;Tip1645a: DDAREA.LSP Label Areas ©2000, Brian Strandberg

Thanks, Buzzard... I thought it might be a coworker's spiel, disaster averted.

Thanks, Buzzard... I thought it might be a coworker's spiel, disaster averted.

I also found another on SPAUG of the same routine name, But a different author and the routine only puts out an alert dialog with the area information. The authors name on the code posted on post #1 was removed. I will not accuse since I do not know the full story. Just so the OP knows that codes not posted by the Author should have the authors permission and authors name in the header.

My cousin gave me a CD of a bunch of old lisp routines he had gathered when he was trying his hand at learning Auto lisp years ago but took another direction and dump AutoCAD and learned Solid works.

Some lisp routines he started to create and others from other students.

From what my cousin Patrick told me they where not copyright lisp programs. :( I would not feel right in stealing someone else or modifying someone files with out there permission.:x

How would you find out who writen a lisp routine if there is no name in the lisp routine? I found none when I looked at the lisp routine.

I open the lisp routine in AutoCAD Visual lisp editor to see if I could see why it was not working.

But Lisp is old and I am going to learn VBA this coming year when I have more time.

But I have a co-worker who is looking program that you can pick in a area and create polyline and get the Square feet in architectural in Feet as text. It is a pain to trace over old drawing files from clients that drafted with out CAD. Always looking for short cuts in drafting and re-drawing old hand drawings.

I also found another on SPAUG of the same routine name, But a different author and the routine only puts out an alert dialog with the area information. The authors name on the code posted on post #1 was removed. I will not accuse since I do not know the full story. Just so the OP knows that codes not posted by the Author should have the authors permission and authors name in the header.

My cousin gave me a CD of a bunch of old lisp routines he had gathered when he was trying his hand at learning Auto lisp years ago but took another direction and dump AutoCAD and learned Solid works.

From what my cousin Patrick told me they where not copyright lisp programs. :( I would not feel right in stealing someone else or modifying someone files with out there permission.:x

How would you find out who writen a lisp routine if there is no name in the lisp routine? I found none when I looked at the lisp routine.

I open the lisp routine in AutoCAD Visual lisp editor to see if I could see why it was not working.

But Lisp is old and I am going to learn VBA this coming year when I have more time.

But I have a co-worker who is looking program that you can pick in a area and create polyline and get the Square feet in architectural in Feet as text. It is a pain to trace over old drawing files from clients that drafted with out CAD. Always looking for short cuts in drafting and re-drawing old hand drawings.

No worries. :)

Sorry if I have made you second-guess your usage of this, I didn't mean to charge you with anything. No harm, no foul.

:: BACK ON TOPIC ::

We can help you modify the DCL code to 'display' the values you asked for in the OP, but in order for there to be some actual change in outcome, we'll need to modify the LISP code.

Thanks

Buzzard and Renderman.

How did you search for the lisp routine? And how would a person find the Author of a old lisp routine?

Where you using Google for the search? I remember Cadence and Cadalyst magazine and web site. Had a lot of cool lsip routine and showed how code.

I don't remember if any one of the Cadence and Cadalyst lisp routines where copyright where they?

I would like to contact Brian Strandberg about this lisp routine!

cadmando2,

As I mentioned, I was not accusing, I mention it just in case you did not know. I want you as well as others to know if the code is not yours, Then you need to think about this before you post it. The one great thing about this forum is that we look out for each other. Its just one of those things that is taken for granted. There is no serious harm done here. Please do not feel worried over it.

I tested the program in 2004 and I could only find a problem with the value converted to square ft. and some minor issues that it writes to file.

I took the word of my cousin about what was on this CD of old lisp routines he told me he created or that some where from other students in class. I had no idea that one or possible more codes mite be one from someone others. But of course my cousin had an injury to his back few years back and is on medication for pain. Only gets a few hours of sleep. That is why he now longer works and is around 40 years old. That sucks. That is why he is getting me a lot of his CAD stuff. I hope no one has to go on worker-comp. They jack him around for 3 years.

I like it that this forum looks out for each other. I have more support from this forum and help in lips routines. Lee creates some great lip routines. The DDAREA is such a great program DDAREA that is would like to use it and my co-worker likes it to if it worked with 2008. I still use 2004 but trying to move to 2008.

I just went to Cadalyst and search and still not getting DDarea.lsp. I found 4 other lisp routines Brian Strandberg did. I have not been on this web site for 2 years. Cadalyst changed their web site. I had some troubles navigating at first but I found the arrived codes. What they no longer list codes by the month?

When you use the LIST command and select the polyline that Ddarea creates it give you a different measurement that the DDAREA gives.

My co-worked is the one who check out the program and I checked it out my self and sure enough I was getting a different measurement. Units setting are Archictural.

Sorry for the long expansion. I don’t want to upset of make anyone mad. I am just trying to make my co-workers and my self-job easier and I wouldn’t be able to with out this forum and friends I meat here.

Thanks again.

I will take another look at it next week if I can. I always have a full plate. That is why I always looking for good codes to get the job done. But now I switchgears, I just was handed energy simulation project to do. Fun stuff. LOL beside the HVAC commission I have to next week to. I neeed another vacation!!! I would like to clone my self.

I took the word of my cousin about what was on this CD of old lisp routines he told me he created or that some where from other students in class. I had no idea that one or possible more codes mite be one from someone others. But of course my cousin had an injury to his back few years back and is on medication for pain. Only gets a few hours of sleep. That is why he now longer works and is around 40 years old. That sucks. That is why he is getting me a lot of his CAD stuff. I hope no one has to go on worker-comp. They jack him around for 3 years.

I like it that this forum looks out for each other. I have more support from this forum and help in lips routines. Lee creates some great lip routines. The DDAREA is such a great program DDAREA that is would like to use it and my co-worker likes it to if it worked with 2008. I still use 2004 but trying to move to 2008.

I just went to Cadalyst and search and still not getting DDarea.lsp. I found 4 other lisp routines Brian Strandberg did. I have not been on this web site for 2 years. Cadalyst changed their web site. I had some troubles navigating at first but I found the arrived codes. What they no longer list codes by the month?

When you use the LIST command and select the polyline that Ddarea creates it give you a different measurement that the DDAREA gives.

My co-worked is the one who check out the program and I checked it out my self and sure enough I was getting a different measurement. Units setting are Archictural.

Sorry for the long expansion. I don’t want to upset of make anyone mad. I am just trying to make my co-workers and my self-job easier and I wouldn’t be able to with out this forum and friends I meat here.

Thanks again.

The DDAREA.lsp on Cadalyst is actually called Tip1645.zip and Tip1645a.lsp and Tip1645b.dcl is in that zip file. I just tested that program also in 2009 and it works the same as in 2004. I noticed it does not put the file to save in the directory you select, Also the units it converts to seem to have some issues. I am not exactly sure how you are getting the problem you are experiencing. I was trying to find the part you say you edited. I was a bit confused by the global variable naming as they look similar to the function naming.