Seting up different scale dimensions

Honda Matt

I am using Auto CAD 2009

At my previous employer they had differnet scale dims setup.

1/8" Scale, 1/4" scale, 1/2" Scale etc.

You would draw in model space and dim according to the scale it would be at in layout. When you would use the quick leader the note would be the right size for the scale in the dim style control.

I have tried without sucsess to set it up.

How can I set that up?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Matt

Don't do it.

Draw everything in model space at full size and use annotative scaling for all text and dimensions. Then switch to your layout, set up your viewports, assign them a scale, lock them and plot at 1:1 and let AutoCAD handle the rest.

Second option would be not to use the annotative scaling feature and do all your text and dimensions in your layout where you have access to paper space.

We use the same kind of dimension scaling as Matt describes for our major client.

Use the dimension setup manager (_dimstyle) and create a new dimension style for each scale that you want.

Because you will be dimensioning in modelspace set the scale on the 'fit' tab to 'use overall scale of:'

For example for 1/4"=1ft, create a new dimension style called 1/4" scale and set the 'use overall scale of' to 48. (48=12"x4)

Of course you will have already set your text and arrows to the size you want in paperspace, say 1/8", as well as setting your leader line extensions and gaps.

For 1/4"=1ft your viewport scale will be 0.0208 (1/ 48 ) so that 12" in modelspace shows as 1/4" in paperspace.

When you now dimension a line in modelspace using your new dimension style the text (and arrows) are drawn at 6 high in modelspace and due to the viewport scale will appear as 1/8" high in paperspace.

Once you have setup the standard scales you want then save them in your drawing template.

(All of this is much easier if you are using millimeters instead of inches).