boolean subtract solids

mikeymike

Hello, I am trying to subtract 2 objects from eachother. The first is a solid (cylinder) and the second is a revolve surface (I revolved from a curve). I found out I cannot subtract a surface from a solid. I also cannot convert the revolved surface to a solid. How can I fix it? How can I make the object solid to subract from the cylinder?

Thanks Mike

Not sure what ajamit meant, but you should create a line connecting the open endpoints of the curve. PE to join and then revolve to get a revolved solid.

Edited by JD Mather

PE is short for Polyline Edit. This command has an option for joining both separate by contiguous lines and polylines into a single continuous entity.

When working with lines the user is prompted to change them to polylines for the command to work properly.

The mistake you made was that you didn't made the top and bottom end point perpendicular.

(In attachment you will see that there is vertical line from top to bottom for reference, there was a small gap left on bottom which i have highlighted in red mark).

I didn't opted you to go for "Pe" command cause it will lead to unusual number of arc/lines if you converted spline to pline (your curve was spline), cause in Revolve command u just need to make sure that start point of polyline and end point are perpendicular to make it Solid, if its not then revolve command will convert polyline/spline into surface..

Note :- My English is not that good :P

curve-drawing-Model.pdf

Edited by ajamit007
Added Disclaimer warning about Bad English......

thanks ajamit007, i saw that you are right, they are not at the same level of eachother. But now I fixed it and revolved again, but still an error in the boolean subtract that my object is a surface. What else I do wrong?

Option 2, Draw a vertical from top to bottom and apply a region command, and then apply revolve command, make sure that the revolved curve is "3D Solid" in the properties..then try to subtract it from the Cylinder..

thanks ajamit007, i saw that you are right, they are not at the same level of eachother. But now I fixed it and revolved again, but still an error in the boolean subtract that my object is a surface. What else I do wrong?

Well, now that you have it closed the Slice with Surface option should work.

just one try left: i made a solid from the curve and place it on top of a cylinder. But it will not work at my side, because the boolean subtract didn't do anything. Can you give it a try and tell me please what went wrong?

boolean-solids.dwg