Plotting points from excel to Autocad

therealsaint01

Hi Guys

I need to put 171, x and y co-ords to make a bunch of points..the co-ords are in excel.. Is it possible to "copy paste" from excel to Autocad and the points will all be there-correctly?

It just becomes a mission to punch them in manually.

Thanks

Hi Guys

I need to put 171, x and y co-ords to make a bunch of points..the co-ords are in excel.. Is it possible to "copy paste" from excel to Autocad and the points will all be there-correctly?

Easy to do with a script file.

1. Open the Excel file.

2. Save it as a .CSV file (comma separated values).

3. Open the .CSV file in notepad, add two lines at the top:

._multiple

._point

4. Then save this file with a .SCR file extension.

5. In AutoCAD run the ._Script command, and pick the .SCR file above.

If you have in Excel the X in column A and the Y in B, enter in C1 =Concatenate(a1,",",B1) and drag down across 170 lines. You should get x,y in column C. Select the column and copy it (ctrl+C). In AutoCAD enter in the command line multiple point, click in the command line and paste (ctrl+V).

But turn off the running osnap before that.

Hey Rkmcswain & fuccaro thats a couple of neat tricks, adding on if you want a line joining a sequence of points together then just

"Select the column and copy it (ctrl+C). In AutoCAD enter in the command Line , click in the command line and paste (ctrl+V)."

Repeat for group of points as required. Could probably work for other commands also.

Dont forget insert block etc its very easy to write a script in excell adding the relevant commands as a column insert blockname x,y

... and if you try to draw lines, you don't even need to enter REPEAT because AutoCAD will repeatedly ask for a new point until you terminate the command. The same goes for polylines.

many years ago I used to use Excel to generate my scripts.