Faster way of drawing specific radii archs in specific locations.

bbankston

Problem:

I'm given a sketch that I must make in CAD. This sketch or shape is called an "arch top". The base is 20 in. the right leg/side is 28 in., the left leg is 18 in., with an arch at the top R30 in..

My silly solution:

I start with the base 20 in. horizontal line - then right leg with a vertical perpendicular line to base at 28 in. - then left leg with a vertical perpendicular leg at 18 in. tall - HERE'S THE SILLINESS - the arch top is drawn by making a circle at a radius of 30 in. then I trim it using the two vertical legs next I place one end on either leg then I beging to draw a circle with the base point at wherever the leg and new arch intersect that circle and that circle is ended at the opposing top of vertical leg then I trim/extend the new arch to fit exactly in that circle, next I use the rotate - reference command to put the new arch in place with the top of the opposing vertical leg.

This method does not seem efficient to me.

Help!

Draw both of the legs and the base, then click on the Draw drop down at the top and go to the Arc flyout and select Start, End, Radius. Click on the tip of the taller leg then the shorter leg and then enter the radius.

Here is another way and it is speeded up by the fact that the radius of a circle is remembered, so you don't have to enter the radius again.

Draw your legs as before. Then draw a circle centered on A, radius 30, then a circle on B, and then a circle on C (intersection of the previous circles) which can then be trimmed and the first two circles erased.

FasterArch.jpg

JPlanera,

I didn't know that I could draw that as a pline. Thanks! That's way faster.

Eldon,

Thanks for the quick geometry lesson... I didn't know that one either... obviously. It's really fast too!

SuperCAD,

That method works as well but it seems slower than the others since you have to go to the top menu to select the right tool. The only time I use the top menu is for dimensioning. I'd like to do that faster as well.

THANKS CAD FOLKS!

SuperCAD,

That method works as well but it seems slower than the others since you have to go to the top menu to select the right tool. The only time I use the top menu is for dimensioning. I'd like to do that faster as well.

THANKS CAD FOLKS!

This method can be done at the command line too.

Command: a ARC Specify start point of arc or

:

Specify second point of arc or [Center/End]: e

Specify end point of arc:

Specify center point of arc or [Angle/Direction/Radius]: r Specify radius of

arc: 30

Why not if always square

ortho on F8

line pick first point drag mouse type 18

drag mouse type 20

drag mouse type 28

enter

then arc start end rad

If this is something you are doing all the time then write a lisp to do pline just enter L W H R

Lisps are not allowed in LT are they, BIGAL? And these shapes are not something that I do all the time - just enough to make me feel like I'm being inefficient drawing them.