[.NET] Getting a block name

walton10

Hello,

I am beginning to write in VB.NET now, using Visual Basic 2010 Express. My current knowledge base is basic or intermediate LISP knowledge. For my first project in .NET I am trying to write a command that will delete all blocks matching a certain block name. My current hang up is that I do not know how to tell .NET to find out what the name of a block is so that it can check it against my user-input name.

Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.EditorInput    'required for GetString

Public Class DeleteBlock

Private acDoc As Document = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument
   Private acCurDb As Database = acDoc.Database

Private blkDefs As ObjectIdCollection = New ObjectIdCollection()
   Private blkRefs As ObjectIdCollection = New ObjectIdCollection()

<CommandMethod("DeleteBlock")>
   Public Sub RemoveMyBlock()
       Dim myBlockName As String
       myBlockName = GetString("Block Name to Delete")
       '' Get the current document and database, and start a transaction
       Using acTransaction As Transaction = acCurDb.TransactionManager.StartTransaction()
           '' Open the Block table record for read
           Dim acBlockTable As BlockTable
           acBlockTable = acTransaction.GetObject(acCurDb.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForRead)

If (acBlockTable.Has(myBlockName)) Then
               '    '' Collect information about the block
               '    '' 1. the block definition
               '    Dim blkID As ObjectId = acBlockTable(myBlockName)
               '    blkDefs.Add(blkID)
               '    Dim acBlockTableRecord As BlockTableRecord
               '    acBlockTableRecord = acTransaction.GetObject(blkID, OpenMode.ForRead)
               '    '' 2. the block's contents
               '    '' ignoring for my work, see http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2008/08/preventing-an-a.html
               '    '' 3. the block's references
               '    Dim TMPblkRefs As ObjectIdCollection = acBlockTableRecord.GetBlockReferenceIds(True, True)
               '    For Each Id As ObjectId In TMPblkRefs
               '        blkRefs.Add(Id)
               '    Next
               'End If
               'acTransaction.Commit()

'' Open the Block table record Model space for read
               Dim acBlockTableRec As BlockTableRecord
               acBlockTableRec = acTransaction.GetObject(acBlockTable(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), OpenMode.ForWrite)

Dim nCnt As Integer = 0
               '' Step through each object in Model space and
               '' display the type of object found
               For Each acObjId As ObjectId In acBlockTableRec
                   If ("INSERT" = acObjId.ObjectClass().DxfName) Then
                       ''' I don't know what goes here...
                       If (myBlockName = acObjId.GETEFFECTIVENAME) Then
                           '''  also, I apparantly don't know how to actually ERASE the object...
                           Try
                               Erase (acObjId)
                           Catch ex As Exception
                           End Try
                       End If
                   End If
                   nCnt = nCnt + 1
               Next

'' If no objects are found then display the following message
               If nCnt = 0 Then
                   acDoc.Editor.WriteMessage(vbLf & "  No objects found")
               End If
           End If
           ' Dispose of the transaction
           acTransaction.Commit()
       End Using

End Sub

Private Function GetString(ByVal pPrompt As String) As String
       Dim pStrOpts As PromptStringOptions = New PromptStringOptions(vbLf & pPrompt & ": ")
       pStrOpts.AllowSpaces = True
       Dim pStrRes As PromptResult = acDoc.Editor.GetString(pStrOpts)
       'Application.ShowAlertDialog("The name entered was: " & pStrRes.StringResult)
       Return pStrRes.StringResult()
   End Function

End Class

Thank you for your help.

Here’s a method based on your existing process. Another option may be to create a filtered Selection Set to reduce the iterations in the .NET code.

I did modify the structure a bit to avoid objects held beyond the scope of the routine. It's probably not critical, just my preference.

<CommandMethod("DeleteBlock")> _
   Public Sub RemoveMyBlock()
       Dim acDoc As Document = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument 'moved these within the routine
       Dim acCurDb As Database = acDoc.Database
       Dim blkDefs As ObjectIdCollection = New ObjectIdCollection()
       Dim blkRefs As ObjectIdCollection = New ObjectIdCollection()
       Dim myBlockName As String
       myBlockName = GetString("Block Name to Delete", acDoc)
       '' Get the current document and database, and start a transaction
       Using acTransaction As Transaction = acCurDb.TransactionManager.StartTransaction()
           '' Open the Block table record for read
           Dim acBlockTable As BlockTable
           acBlockTable = acTransaction.GetObject(acCurDb.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForRead)
           If (acBlockTable.Has(myBlockName)) Then
               Dim acBlockTableRec As BlockTableRecord
               acBlockTableRec = acTransaction.GetObject(acBlockTable(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), OpenMode.ForWrite)
               Dim nCnt As Integer = 0
               '' Step through each object in Model space and
               '' display the type of object found
               For Each acObjId As ObjectId In acBlockTableRec
                   If ("INSERT" = acObjId.ObjectClass().DxfName) Then
                       Dim entInsert As BlockReference = DirectCast(acTransaction.GetObject(acObjId, OpenMode.ForWrite), BlockReference)
                       If (myBlockName = entInsert.Name) Then entInsert.Erase()
                   End If
                   nCnt = nCnt + 1
               Next
               '' If no objects are found then display the following message
               If nCnt = 0 Then
                   acDoc.Editor.WriteMessage(vbLf & "  No objects found")
               End If
           End If
           ' Dispose of the transaction
           acTransaction.Commit()
       End Using

End Sub
   Private Function GetString(ByVal pPrompt As String, ByRef acDoc As Document) As String
       Dim pStrOpts As PromptStringOptions = New PromptStringOptions(vbLf & pPrompt & ": ")
       pStrOpts.AllowSpaces = True
       Dim pStrRes As PromptResult = acDoc.Editor.GetString(pStrOpts)
       'Application.ShowAlertDialog("The name entered was: " & pStrRes.StringResult)
       Return pStrRes.StringResult()
   End Function

Thank you very much. Being this new, I didn't know about the DirectCast method. I will have to look into it and learn more. If you have any links to articles or examples of it's use that you could share, I would be grateful.

Hi SeanT,

Sorry for off-top

In my routine at the moment I've used the following code block instead:

[size=1][font=Consolas][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][color=#0000ff]If[/color][/font][/color][/font][/color][/font][font=Consolas][font=Consolas] (myBlockName = EffectiveName(entInsert)) [/font][/font][font=Consolas][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][color=#0000ff][font=Consolas][color=#0000ff]Then[/color][/font][/color][/font][/color][/font][font=Consolas][font=Consolas] entInsert.Erase()[/font][/font][/size]
[size=1][font=Consolas][font=Consolas]End If[/font][/font][/size]

Assuming the next function is follows:

Public Shared Function EffectiveName(ByVal blkref As BlockReference) As String
If blkref.IsDynamicBlock Then
Using obj As BlockTableRecord = DirectCast(blkref.DynamicBlockTableRecord.GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead), BlockTableRecord)
Return obj.Name
End Using
End If
Return blkref.Name
End Function

But by any reason it's not woking with dynamic blocks as well,

say I can delete just 4 blockreferences from 20

(thee are NUS blocks btw)

How to solve it?

~'J'~

This is actually quite on topic. It's exactly the functionality I am trying to build, and exactly the problem that I run into. I do not know how to get it to reliably delete dynamic blocks, especially once any of their dynamic properties have been changed. I know how to do it in LISP, but my goal here is to start learning this newer, more powerful language.

When you change the properties of a dynamic block it creates an anonymous block.

This is a simple example to delete the block references and delete the block references of the anonymous blocks created by the dynamic block.

Is hard-coded for a block named "C"

<[color=#2b91af]CommandMethod[/color]([color=#a31515]"DeleteAllBlockReference"[/color])> _
       [color=blue]Public[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color] DeleteAllBlockReference()
           [color=blue]Dim[/color] doc [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]Document[/color] = [color=#2b91af]Application[/color].DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument
           [color=blue]Dim[/color] db [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]Database[/color] = doc.Database

[color=blue]Using[/color] trx [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]Transaction[/color] = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction()

[color=blue]Dim[/color] bt [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]BlockTable[/color] = db.BlockTableId.GetObject([color=#2b91af]OpenMode[/color].ForRead)
               [color=blue]Dim[/color] btr [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]BlockTableRecord[/color] = bt([color=#a31515]"C"[/color]).GetObject([color=#2b91af]OpenMode[/color].ForRead)

[color=blue]For[/color] [color=blue]Each[/color] objId [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]ObjectId[/color] [color=blue]In[/color] btr.GetBlockReferenceIds([color=blue]True[/color], [color=blue]True[/color])
                   [color=blue]Dim[/color] ent [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]Entity[/color] = objId.GetObject([color=#2b91af]OpenMode[/color].ForWrite)
                   ent.Erase()
               [color=blue]Next[/color]

[color=blue]Dim[/color] anonBlkIds [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]ObjectIdCollection[/color] = btr.GetAnonymousBlockIds

[color=blue]For[/color] [color=blue]Each[/color] btrObjId [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]ObjectId[/color] [color=blue]In[/color] anonBlkIds
                   [color=blue]Dim[/color] anonBtr [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]BlockTableRecord[/color] = btrObjId.GetObject([color=#2b91af]OpenMode[/color].ForRead)

[color=blue]For[/color] [color=blue]Each[/color] objId [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]ObjectId[/color] [color=blue]In[/color] anonBtr.GetBlockReferenceIds([color=blue]True[/color], [color=blue]True[/color])
                       [color=blue]Dim[/color] ent [color=blue]As[/color] [color=#2b91af]Entity[/color] = objId.GetObject([color=#2b91af]OpenMode[/color].ForWrite)
                       ent.Erase()
                   [color=blue]Next[/color]

[color=blue]Next[/color]

trx.Commit()

[color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]Using[/color]

[color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color]

Hey guys,

I saw the questions about Dynamic Blocks last night and planned on investigating it this morning. I see that the investigation will be pretty easy now. Thanks Jeff.