Crop Part of a drawing into new drawing

ziosi

I am using autocad lt 2009 and would like to make a new drawing out of of portion of an exisiting drawing. I am very new to auto cad and would appreciate any help.

thanks

select what you want making sure you draw the selection box from right to left (this way you select everything which enters box, not just what is completely inside) and ctrl+shift+c. select base point (eg. 0,0) then paste into new drawing, also at 0,0.

or if you prefer, use a new layout in your original drawing?

You can just "Save As..." the original drawing and erase what you don't need. That way you will grab all the layers, blocks, text & dim styles, and layouts in one sweep.

thanks for the help. although i had zoomed in on a much larger drawing and now when i try to view the extens of the drawing it very tiny. is there any way i can change the extents so that they are larger in picture?

there must be something a long way from the portion of your drawing - use select all (ctrl+a) to try and find it. often you get blocks with dodgy base points - there is little you can do about this but should not affect zoom extents.

remember to LAYON and LAYTHW first to ensure you have not missed some layers

If you're unable to figure out what's causing Zoom > Extents to include more than just the visible objects, post the drawing and I'm sure we'll be able to help.

thanks for the help. although i had zoomed in on a much larger drawing and now when i try to view the extens of the drawing it very tiny. is there any way i can change the extents so that they are larger in picture?

A portion of your drawing is a long way from 0,0. If you post here, someone will help you with it, or you can do a search, I am pretty sure this has come up a few times.