Unable to delete layers

Bigthunker

Hey folks,

I have a couple of layers in a template i would like to remove, but every time i attempt to delete them a warning box is displayed that says

"The selected layer was not deleted.

the following layers cannot be deleted:

- Layer 0 and Defpoints

- The current layer

- Layers containing objects

- X-ref dependant layers"

The frustrating thing is that the layers are in a template and have never been associated to any objects of any kind, they are not current, not x-ref dependant!

Any ideasb :?:?:?

The layers you want to delete probably contain objects that you are unaware of therefore you cannot delete them. The layers could be referenced in a block or more than one block.

A little research on the problem finds you may be in luck. You have access to a command that was previously found only in full AutoCAD's Express Tools. The command is called Layer Delete (LAYDEL). Switch to layer "0" and run the command. It will delete a layer and anything on it. I hope you don't have anything on either of the two layers you really wanted to keep because you'll lose it.

There is one other possibility. Use the Layer Merge command (LAYMRG) to merge anything on the layer you want to delete to another layer (layer "0"?). Then delete the layer.

Cheers ReMark,

I need to have a fiddle with this command as its not letting me input the layer name directly into the command line; I might have to create some obejects to associate the layers to. Ill let you know how it goes mate.

can i join the discussion...

what if command LAYWALK ( Layerwalk )... then when you select a layer name if the PURGE is active,

it means that Layer name is not assigned in the drawing so you can purge that Layer ( or delete it ). the same thing

you do to other layers when the PURGE tab is active you can delete those Layers.

When you select a layer name and you cannot purge, it means that Layer name is assigned...

i hope this will help but please correct me if i'm wrong..