Using blocks in metre and millimetre viewports

Hi all,

To help set perspective, I have a viewport at 1:500m and another at 1:200mm. Using annotative scaling I can use the same bit of Mtext or dimension and have it show up in both viewports, right... So my questions is, how do I make this work for blocks as well?... I've noticed that for Mtext, CAD automatically scales up or down the model text height to suit the appropriate anno. scale so that all appears normal through the viewport. Is there some way for a block to do the same thing?...

Any info. at all is appriciated, Alex.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't explain the problem very well it wasn't really clear what the question was. Thanks for the replies though, however I already know and understand that much about Annotative scaling blocks. Here is another attempt at explaining my problem. I have some civil drawings in metres which has a tittleblock 594m x 841m in paperspace but the structures drawings are all done in millimetres so the tittleblock in paperspace is 594mm x 841mm. So beause the physical size of the structures viewport is smaller than the civil viewports the blocks appear incredibly large in the structure VP's. However if the physical size of the viewports are the same the blocks look fine.

So I think the annotative scaling adjusts the scale of the block to look the same in paperspace no matter the paper unit to drawing unit ratio but doesn't take into account the size of the view port. Just to help clarify, a view port at 1:500m covers a lot more area than one at 1:200mm. So when I say the viewport size I mean how much area it actually shows.

It's probably not much clearer but thanks for at least taking a look, Alex.

try setting your 1:500m scale to be 1000:500 - that should sort it. You may have to set a custom annotative scale to do this.

dJE