obects in turned off layer still visible

khoshravan

I have a plan view of a residential building. I want to remove some columns. I may need them later so I don't want to delete them.

I want to move them to a new layer (layer name: hiddenObject) and turn this layer off to unshow them.

When I move them and turn that layer off, first, the color of those objects didn't turn to layer's color and second they don't disappear.:oops:

What is wrong with my procedure?

as above, it sounds like your columns are blocks, right?

if your columns are, say, just a polyline and a hatch, i would have the hatch on a layer called "concrete" or something, and the polyline on layer zero. then your column block on layer "columns" or similar. this will keep it nice and simple.

only entities in blocks on layer zero will change colour to match the block's layer.

Entities inside your columns block not on hiddenObject layer. Freeze hiddenObject layer and blocks becomes invisible.

Thanks it worked. Although I didn't understand your first sentence. Also desinerstuart is correct. Columns are blocks.

Anyway freezing hiddenObject layer makes them invisible.

Thanks

as above, it sounds like your columns are blocks, right?

then your column block on layer "columns" or similar.

only entities in blocks on layer zero will change colour to match the block's layer.

Yes my columns are block.

Do you mean there are three layers. One for column boundaries second for hatch and what is the third one?

I have to admit that I haven't understand the block very well.

I think he was suggesting an example of editing your block and putting certain parts of it on three different layers. Even though Freeze works it will still be printable unless you deselect the printer in the layer manager.

Personally, what I would do is double click on one of your column blocks to edit it or type 'bedit' at the command line. Find your block in the dialog box, select and press ok. It will open the block editor. Then slect everything inside the block and place on layer 0 with all the properties on 'bylayer'. Close the editor and save the block. Then move all column blocks to your hiddenObject layer and they will take on all the aspects you make that layer (off, locked, freeze, etc).

This is the reason that so many folks say you should always make your blocks on layer 0 - so that you can manipulate them at will via layer manager. It isn't the only way, but you have to think in advance how you want to organize your layers and blocks. Such as all column blocks created on layer 'columns' and then your blocks will follow the layer manipulation. It can get convoluted, but if you are very organized it can be a positive tool in drawing organization/manipulation.

Just my 2 cents...:)

Edited by Ryder76
spelling dag nabit!