Annotative text - match orientation

funky fedaykin

I'm having a problem with some annotative text.

The text is set to "match orientation". which is fine, except the text rotates on the grip tab on the lower left of the text instead of the insertion point.

This is how it should look with the two bits of text above each other, except matching orientation:

MODEL.jpg

This is how it does look:

VPORT.jpg

the lot number is justified to the bottom centre, and the area to the top centre, so in theory, they should show correctly at any orientation.

• 1 year later...

Maybe you should start looking into Attribute files where the text is in a block and able to be rotated and at the same time you are able to change the text to read what you want.

Maybe you should start looking into Attribute files where the text is in a block and able to be rotated and at the same time you are able to change the text to read what you want.

I suspect this may be the best way to go in general, though I don't know how feasible it is to implement in the present case. Attributed Blocks have always been my preferred method.

From a cursory investigation, it appears that rotated, annotative TEXT retains its original insertion point when Match Orientation is On, and that the constrained orientation is about the base/corner grip, as originally stated. Another way of looking at it is that, when looking at the grips, the bounding box does not appear to re-orient with the text itself.

It appears that, per the grips, MTEXT behaves differently, that its bounding box does re-orient so that it appears to rotate about its insertion point when Match Orientation is On. It’s more complicated than this, as the bounding box doesn’t really rotate—just try editing such MTEXT, and you will see this. The experiment I did was with the rotation set to 90-deg. The edit box was still rotated 90 even though the text was horizontal. Not an easy arrangement to edit.

If Match Orientation isn’t actually required, then simply turning it off and changing the TEXT Rotation via Properties might work. You can select all of the TEXT and change everything in one go.

A much more tedious solution might be to use Express Tools to Convert (Text) to Mtext. One reason it may be so complicated is that the Justification may change and the M/Text move when it is in a rotated position. When I tried converting my 90-deg-rotated TEXT to MTEXT, its Bottom Center justification became Top Center and it shifted. To avoid this, I first changed the Rotation to 0, then Converted, then reset the Justification, then reset the Rotation. In addition, I had to turn the Match Orientation Off then back On, otherwise I lost the original rotation. Recap:

1. Turned Off Match Orientation.

2. Set Rotation to 0.

3. Convert(ed) Text to Mtext (via Express Tools).

4. Reset Justification.

5. Reset Rotation.

6. Turned Match Orientation back On.

Another reason this might be very tedious is that Convert to Mtext is designed to combine all of the selected TEXT into one MTEXT object. Thus, in step 3 you would have to select and convert one at a time. The other steps could be done in one go, assuming the justification and rotation are the same.

Those Attributed Blocks are sounding better all the time.