Need Opinions of this...

Ryder76

http://sellout.woot.com/sale/18311

I'm not strong about hardware anymore, so I was wondering what yal thought about this computer for home use. I usually use internet, email, simple games, but I would like to be able to run AutoCAD if I happen to take any work home.

What do yal think about it as is and/or suggestions on items needed? The price is right, so...

What version of AutoCAD? 2008?

Win7 = good.

Home Premium = not so good if you are going to be trying to load AC 2008 on it.

64-bit = good.

Core Duo = good.

5GB RAM = good. Bit odd though. I would have figured 4GB or 6GB but whatever.

1TB HD = OK if it isn't a pokey 5400 rpm. Good if it is a 7200 rpm.

Integrated graphics = not so good. But it does have an available PCIe X16 slot available if you want to add a graphics card later.

I give it 5 out of 10 stars.

Thanks for the info, Mark, appreciate it.

In the specs further down in the text says the hard drive speed is 7200. I have ACAD Electical 2008 at home, but if I get rights to the version here it is ACADM 2009. Would love to run 2011 on it...one day.

2008 Electrical is probably 32-bit. If you wanted to load it on a new system I'd recommend going with Win7 Pro. It should work. I think you might have problems getting it to run on Home Premium.

Again, thanks Mark. I will probably pass on this one. It's a good price if all you need is something to surf the net, get emails, and pay bills with. I'll wait - I have time. Besides, I really want a laptop and not a desktop. The older I get the more I want to streamline and simplify my life. It's easier to drag a laptop around than a desktop! :lol:

$400 would be sweet, but I know if I get what I want and need to run a current version of ACAD I am looking at about 2K.

I have a desktop that I am running ACADE2008,ACAD2010, and Inventor 2010 on, but it is sitting in a friend's house getting an overhaul. It's 32 bit and a little slow, but runs fine when I don't get attacked by malware and cr*p. My friend cleans up my machine about once a year, and I buy him a big bottle of Crown Black. He's happy - I'm happy - it's a win-win!:D

I'm looking to add an external hard drive and possibly create a virtual hard drive. Well, at least I think that's what he called it. Said there was something else I would need to get, and then we would be able to run my desktop as if it was two operating systems. One to keep clean and one to play with so if something happens we have the clean real one to fix the virtual one. If sure there are some more informed folks here that would know the right terminology for what I trying to say.

Thanks for the feedback. Welcome any others to add to it.

If you are considering using AutoCAD 2011 you might be interested in this link, which lists the operating system compatibility for the various AutoCAD versions. I remember seeing somewhere that for 2012 the OS Home Premium is no longer supported. There are similar tables available for the other AutoCAD products too.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14078105&linkID=9240617

For Civil 3D:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15411638&linkID=9240697

That PC would easily run AutoCad (any version including 2011). Unless you are going to be frequently render huge 3D drawings on it, it will be fine.

Look at buy.com as they have specials from time to time. Yesterday they had a Gateway w/ AMD Phenom x4, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, 1gb Rad HD 57xx video, Bluray and DVDrw for $599. It is gone today though.