Import Layer Group Filters

miisaa

Hi,

I'm trying to import layer group filters from dwg to dwg. I know that this feature removed with Autocad 2005. I know i can import layer states, but layer states doesn't solve my problem. I tried "lfilterio" but it's not working. I look for olders posts but couldn't find a solid solution.

I'm just hoping that one of you know how to make it, with or without a lisp routine. Or may be write one? :)

Thanks for your time...

Can you have your Template file already filtered and copy paste the drawings into it?

To do a filter

-layer (don't forget the negative sign)

Filter

N

If you wanted to use lisp to set up a filter

(command "layer" "filter" "N" ... and so forth

I have never used filters but I found this page for importing

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2011/ENU/filesAUG/WS1a9193826455f5ffb9242e10d8082106b-7fe4.htm

When i use a template and copy paste my drawings into it, it masses up my layouts and dimensions. Re-organizing them, takes so much time.

The import link you gave me is about "layer states" so unfortunately it's not working for me.

The thing is i work as a controller, so i'm not the one who draws the files. There are too many files coming, so i'm triying to find an easier and quicker way to group the layers, check them if there is a problem and send the files to the people who will use it.

I'm not trying to slack, it's just i'm so short on time.

I actually have 4 different drawings/projects in one drawing. 1 mech., 1 arch. and 2 different elect. All of them are related to each other so i can't seperate them. Also i'm not the one who's making the drawings so it rules out the xref option.

What i need is to see these projects both seperately and together. When i'm gonna plot these projects i should see them seperately but when i'm checking the drawings to see if there is any problem i need to see 2 or 3 of them together.

If i use layer states i can see them seperately but not together, but with layer group filters i can close and open which ever group i want.

Layer group filters were the best solution i could find. If there's anything else i can use, i wolud gladly use it. Or i could try every suggestion.

Thanks..

Maybe you could use lisp. If the layers are always the same you could have different Lisp routines to only view the layers you want!

If you don't know lisp try entering the following on the command line for a start:

(command "layer"

I would suggest turning all the layers off then only turning on the layers you want to view.

(COMMAND "LAYER" "OFF" "*" "N" "") - this will turn all layers off except the current one.

(command "layer" "m" "outline" "c" "YELLOW" "" "l" "continuous" "" "") - this makes a layer (or turns on this layer) and makes the properties these.

(COMMAND "LAYER" "ON" "*" "") - this turns all layers on

Try all these commands on your command line to learn how it works

Yes, layers are always the same.

To be honest, i don't know lisp.

I tried the things you said, using layer command and managing layers without layer properties manager window.

You said to try it as a start, is there a next step?

Maybe an Idea if this thread goes into the Lisp Area!!! You will get a lot more help there

If you open the visual lisp editor you will be able to start there.

hi all

I am after the same thing.

At work the drive with all the CAD templates is read only, so i cant change the template for fuure use

(unless i make a naughty copy of it elsewhere)

i have just gone through a drawing and made all the layer filters, but now i need them in all my drawings.

any ideas?

Cheers

Marcus

I would just setup the layers in a copy of the template stored on your local computer (if you can't get them added to the template on the server) and start new jobs from that.

Thanks for your advice Grant i'll ask it under the lisp area. Since it was about layers i thought this topic would be appropriate, but as i said i'll move it.

To mvrcad; after Grant told me about the lisp and suggested to me to use the command line, i kind of solved my problem. If the layers always the same, in my case they are, you can write a script and use it at your new drawings.

To put it simply, i used the command line to make new layer filters and editing them by adding the layers that i want. Since i made it all with command line, i turned it into a script. When i open a new file i just run it and it makes all the filtering for me. :) But it just works for that drawings, not for any other.

If you want, i can put it here for you to see what i did.