Xref not found

MisterJingles

Hi all

This is a 2 fold question.

I have a drawing with 18 viewports, each one has (should have) a titleblock but xref manager tells me it is not found.

Firstly, why would it now not be attached? And secondly, why am I not simply able to re-reference it? I tried to UNLOAD and DETACH it but it wont do it as there are multiple inserts. So I tried to RELOAD and ATTACH but no joy. It simply gives me the path to the referenced file (which is correct by the way)

So, how do I reload the titleblock to each layout?

Regards

Rob

Edited by MisterJingles
"VP" changed to "layout" at end of paragraph

do you mean 18 layouts?

is the layout xref'd in to each layout?

xref not found means there is a path problem... what does xref manager say about the reference?

if it won't detatch, are you sure it is not a nested xref?

it wont do it as there are multiple inserts
i don't undertand..... what is the error message?

try purging, but detatch should work even if there are many inserts

it won't re-ref if the definition is still in the drawing - you need to get rid of it somehow.

please post a screenshot or the dwg if possible to help show the exact problem

Hi Stuart

Sorry I meant 18 layouts, each with a single VP on each.

See image attached showing error message at the bottom.

Error-2.jpg

well for a start those other xrefs which are unreferenced should be detachable (unref'd is where it has been inserted but then the xref deleted, not detached, so the path remains but drawing isn't there). once detached purge the dwg to be sure.

i've not seen that message before - but i'm on 2009. maybe if you delete the xref from the drawing, it will become unreferenced and then can be detached? sounds messy.....

Yes those were detachable and are now detached.

Im on 2012.

I tried purging without luck.

When i try RELOAD the status changes to NOT FOUND.

MisterJingles,

This could be a problem of circular referencing usually caused when you `attach' instead of `overlay' an xref. Take a note of the xref's you have loaded in your drawing, save and close the drawing and open each xref in turn, check if the tblock is loaded in the drawing. If it's not purge and save, if it is `detach' it, purge and re-attach it but use `overlay' instead of `attach'. Go back to the original drawing `detach' the tblock (you should be able to do this now), purge and re-attach as an `overlay'. I hope this solved the problem.

ajaybay - I don't follow. Are you saying I must open the xref separately? Remember that my titleblock is the xref.

I do ATTACH when inserting xrefs I don't OVERLAY. although I don't know why.

in xref manager select the xref & than click on 'browse' next to path & go to that file, this way you should be able to reinsert & it should apper in all layouts automatically

Thanks Dipali. Below "Saved Path" was another option called "Found At". I browsed here and re-referenced it.

Thanks a stack.

I love this site.

sometimes the files need to be renamed & if they are xrefed multiple times in any drawing, I use this method to reinsert the file & tham rename the file in x-ref manager.