Object is "there" (can be seen) but doesn't exist?

shanman56

I have a 2-D drawing where there is one single object (an edited dimension, it seems) that I cannot do ANYTHING with. I cannot move it, select it or get any information on it at all. It appears to be white in model space, but red in paper space. There are no X-refs in this drawing at all from what I can tell. I have run and audit and purged all unwanted information from the drawing and yet I still cannot even move this object.

When I enter and type "ALL" it does not get selected or deleted. What is the deal? It's a very frustrating issue, that I've spent far too long researching already (like NOBODY has ever had this problem OR it is "old hat" and simple)!

Please help, someone!

Thank you in advance.

Shannon

welcome to the forum.

i don't know the problem, but if you copy everything out, into a new drawing, using command COPYBASE, does the troublesome dim get copied too?

Is there a Defpoints layer in the drawing?

Erase EVERYTHING then save what is left (the mystery dimension) under a new name then post it here so we can take a look at it. Don't purge any layers.

I have a 2-D drawing where there is one single object (an edited dimension, it seems) that I cannot do ANYTHING with. I cannot move it, select it or get any information on it at all. It appears to be white in model space, but red in paper space. There are no X-refs in this drawing at all from what I can tell. I have run and audit and purged all unwanted information from the drawing and yet I still cannot even move this object.

When I enter and type "ALL" it does not get selected or deleted. What is the deal? It's a very frustrating issue, that I've spent far too long researching already (like NOBODY has ever had this problem OR it is "old hat" and simple)!

Please help, someone!

Thank you in advance.

Shannon

Whuups - Inventor? Never mind, I may have been suggesting to you an AutoCAD only solution. Then again, just in case... Is it as simple as a locked layer, the Red one?

How would I post this "new" drawing here? Do I need to copy it to a online server?

There is a "defpoints" layer in the drawing.

After saving the drawing and closing it for the 3rd time, the dimension became "accessible" again for no apparent reason.

Thank you, for your help fellow designers!

Shannon

There weren't any locked or frozen layers. It seems as if the drawing or program itself just had a bad day and lost touch with this ONE dimension.

There weren't any locked or frozen layers. It seems as if the drawing or program itself just had a bad day and lost touch with this ONE dimension.

Yeah, you had probably already checked that stuff. The magical mystery AutoCAD tour continues.

Just this morning I had one of those. Seems every time I moved an object with an associated dimension, the program would forget where one end or the other of the dimension should be. It'd just shoot off into outer space or stay put and strettttttttch to the new location. Then it just quit mucking about and started behaving again.

Sometimes I think the program overwrites some of its own bits and bytes, and just gets its panties wadded.

LOL, there always seems to be some quirk! Like all the ICONS taking a quick break from visibility (that happened this morning too). I saved a drawing and when it refreshed, all the icons were "gone". However, when I "wiped" the cursor over the areas where they should have been, they would appear as though I "erased them into visibility".

Some Weird stuff there!

So far today, 3 times my Polar Tracking was off a few degrees, I would try to go straight North, South, East Or West and it would seem the world was twisted. I tried all the UCS stuff, etc. It was only resolved by selecting Ortho, then selecting Polar.:ouch:

:shock: It's The Rise of The Machines.

Quick. Pull the main breaker if you can still get to it in time, grab your Bowie Knife, hop on the ATV, find a good saddle horse and get outa town.:shock: