Help Annontative Scale Setup

Hi,

I am trying to use annontative scale for the first time. What I am trying to use it for is the following:

I have blocks setup for the legend on our drawings. Say if I hatch a footpath in a drawings, I have a legend item that I insert into paperspace that has a sample of that hatch and the text "Existing footpath". Can I set the annotative scale in paperspace so that no matter what the viewport scale the legend item in paperspace will look similar to it.

There is a check-off box in the Hatch dialog window aptly named Annotative. You assign an annotative scale to the hatch pattern in model space that corresponds to the viewport scale in your layout.

Thanks ReMark, I have that checked. I created the block in model space, checked the box and added scales that I would use (1:2500,1:1000,1:500,1:250). In model space I changed the "cannoscale" system variable and the block updated. I then copied that block to paper space and the hatch pattern disappeared. I presume that that is because the paper space scale was set to 1:1. I tried to change the "cannoscale" system variable again and it said

Enter new value for CANNOSCALE, or . for none : 1:500

Cannot set CANNOSCALE to that value.

*Invalid*

So how do I sort it that the block to be annotative and adjusted will be on paper space?

I see no need to copy the block to paper space. Use another viewport just to display a sample of the hatch pattern.

I don't think that is the best solution. We have done that in the past and the viewport slows down the drawing. We put our legend blokcs on paperspace and find that it works well.

I have made samples of hatch patterns in model space and made them annontative. I gave them an initial scale of 1:500. When I change that to 1:1000 in model space the hatch adjusts. However when I go back to paper space the looks like it did before I chagned it. I thought this should update as well. I thought that was the point of annontation. Have i missed something?

The addition of viewports slows down your drawing? Wouldn't that point more towards a hardware problem than an AutoCAD problem?

Yeah but what can you do. I work for a local authority who's IT department can't grasp the fact the AutoCAD needs a different spec to admin.

Anyway, I've chosen this route and I'm not for turning. It works well for us. We can move the legend or notes around very easily if we need to without messing with viewports. Plus I have the scale of the viewport linked to fields in the title block and I don't want people messing with viewports unnecessarily cause that will screw it up.

I have looked into annontative scale more and it would be cool to setup out hatch patterns using this. I have a few questions though and I hope someone can provide some answers. Actually it's more to do with work flow.

I have lisps that create hatches within our drawings. So if my cannoscale is set to 1:1000 I create a hatch, call it "honey" at a scale of 1. If I then change the cannoscale to 1:500 and create a hatch again called "honey" at a scale of 1. These two hatches are at different scales even though. Is there any way to make them set same even though the cannoscale is different?