AutoCAD MEP - How do you block a mass element and get it to change colour BY BLOCK?

spittle

I can't get it to work.

As soon as I block it, it will not change to the colour of the layer that I place the block on.

Can you just use MVPARTCONVERT instead? Probably be better to use MvPart anyways.

Mass Element always goes green for me. Is this what it's doing for you as well? Might be something you change in the Display Manager or Style Manager. I never really found a good use for a Mass Element so I never dug in that deep with them.

Are MV parts save in a separate database? So I can edit the MV part and any instances within other drawings will update? That would be ideal.

One thing I've noticed (a little off topic) is when I use 3D solids rather than mass elements for objects with a radius, my 2D sections get a load of extra lines that are a bit tedious to delete each time. Do you have any suggestions?

I'll try the MV part tommorrow.

FYI, this is the type of 2D output I'm generating in this instance. (Note, the cyan section should be yellow)

This is just a small part of the PCC benching within an underground wetwell. To follow in other drawings is pipework, steelwork, M&E etc.

3D-Proposed-PCC-Benching-DRAFT.jpg

Why not use the Sectioning tools in vanilla AutoCAD as well as AutoCAD MEP? If you're dimensioning up normal machined parts, it would be much more ideal. MvParts are more specific to the MEP designing which is what I assumed you were doing. It looks as if MEP has no bearing on what you are designing via the screenshot you provided, but I could be wrong.

MvPartConvert is a quick way to take a 3D solid or block and house it into an AEC Object with certain parameters that might serve your needs better than a Mass Element. Check it out and see if it works for you and yes, they can be saved and used in future drawings. You can also try MvBlock too. And, for 2D purposes, try using FLATSHOT to create your views and uncheck the "Show Obscured Lines" option. There are so many ways to do it, just trying to help a fellow CAD designer out as to the options is all. Hopefully I can help in some way, lol. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, MEP is the route my company decided to take as we had a load of spare licences kicking about. I'm not so sure about Vanilla CAD - Whilst I could get away with flatshot and section in this instance, I don't think it's feasable to use when the design is in development and changing especially when things get complex.

It's too easy to forget to amend something. Atleast in MEP if I forget where I was at, I can just refrex all of the sections.

I'll give MV part a try tommorow - no doubt I'll be back with the next query!

I think I missunderstood you. You mean flatshot to generate the 2D multi views. I'll take a look. One thing I do know is that I'm only just scraping the surface of MEP.

I think I missunderstood you. You mean flatshot to generate the 2D multi views. I'll take a look. One thing I do know is that I'm only just scraping the surface of MEP.

Also try the AEC Sectioning Tools.

Flatshot is just an easy way to create 2D views from any angle, just as long as it is a 3D Solid and not an AEC Object. You can use the CONVERTTO3DSOLID command if this is ever the case.

Mass Element always goes green for me. Is this what it's doing for you as well? Might be something you change in the Display Manager or Style Manager. I never really found a good use for a Mass Element so I never dug in that deep with them.

The reason I can see for using mass element is that it allows you to use display styles for different objects.

Do you use display styles for your MEP elements or do your 2D sections use - By layer, to generate the colour of the 2D entities?

I do everything by colour but I'm thinking display styles are the way to go. Not sure how exactly it works though with regards to workflow.

That's what I've done - I can get the 2D linework to display as per the colour of the block i.e. the colour of whatever layer the block is on however here is the problem:

The 2D linework colour does not seem to be affected by viewport layer overides - so I'm stuck with the one colour for every viewport where as I want to make different objects stand out in different viewports.

That's because it's an AEC entity. You're stuck with those colors unless you change the layer and regenerate the section. Sectioning tools have their strengths and weaknesses, look like you've found a weakness of them. You could always explode them for editing purposes but then you lose the link.

So if you wanted to create multiple views of the same 3d model, with different viewports focusing on different elements then....

... you'd make them all the same colour or switch some objects on/off.

Ideally I want to create my 2D linework from 3D models within XREFs...

I've never had to do extensive editing to my sections and/or elevations. You could always trace over the section with the proper linework color if you want to represent variations in your line thicknesses. This is still a manual process, but you don't break the live link between the selected 3D model components with the 2D section either. When selecting the 2D section, in your right-click menu you have an option to edit the linework to a certain degree. You can't change linetype or color, but you can delete and edit certain aspects of the view. Just kind of the way it is I guess. Revit addresses this issue in a much better fashion so I've heard. ;)

This seems very limited. I'm tweaking the design as I go so drawing over the top of sections is not an approach I'd like to adopt as my drawings keep changing. Any idea if it's possible to create a style that gives you control with viewport layer overrides? If that were possible I'd go the mass element route...

It displays everything, but here's what I'm after:

Viewport 1: Detail plans/sections of component 1 in bold, component 2 and 3 need to be shown but only lighter as these components will be resting on top of eachother. They're pieces of a puzzle.

Viewport 2: compoent 1, component 2 in bold, compoent 3

Viewport 3: only component 3 in bold

The above is a very basic explanation. the 3D sections do represent what it there and I can edit the lienwork but I need more control over line weight and linetype then I can stop messing around and wasting time duplicating 3d objects and I can just pull my sections directly off the XREFs.