Mold dimensioning

qwertyuiop23

Hi there,

I am using solidworks and have made a mold of the part I am designing, I now need to make a detailed drawing of this mold for the manufacturer however, Solidworks will not import the dimensions of the mold into the drawing file. Does anyone know of a way to get around this?

Cheers

Qwertyuiop23

can you post some screenshots what you are doing since i am too manufacturer and learning here for mold designs.

Ive thought that you are making a mold die sorry i misunderstood so ive asked for that.anyway I have used dimensioning by drag and drop I mean just like pointing two places where we need the dimension.

shift123 is an expert in solidworks and you will get the answer what you needed.

I know I can dimension it using the Smart dimension tool, also the automatic dimension tool picks up most of the dimensions. But due to the fact that it can only read it off the mold and not the original model the numbers are obviously incorrect. The method I am using now is to have the actual model in the drawing and dimension that up then make the lines for construction while leaving all the dimensions visible.

qwerty, how did you make the mold? Did you use the mold tools or did you do it manually? Im not sure if i understand the problem with the actual model and the mold being different. The only reason they would be different is if you changed the mold size to account for shrinkage. Does the model not have draft on it? Im also not sure I follow the importing dimensions part.

You can insert multiple parts into your drawing files and you can manually over write the dimension values. I would assume you are trying to dimension the root of pockets with a draft angle call-out or something similar.