xref name change

clicker

when I rename a file that is xreffed into another drawing, the link gets lost and I have to reattach it all over again. Is there a function in autocad (08) that allows you to redefine the path of an existing xref that has changed names?

When you rename a file that's xreffed into another drawing, the path remains unchanged, and the link isn't lost, it just can't find that particular file. What you need to do is, in the xref manager dialog box, highlight the xref, and where it says Found At (lower part of dialog box) click the far end of the box, ellipses appear, click on it & navigate to where your renamed file is, select it & double click, takes you back to xr manager d/b. It'll now say it's loaded under Status. Under Reference Name, (at the upper part of the d/b) the old name hasn't changed, so it's a good idea to manually change it. Hope this is what you're asking.

• 2 years later...

When I do this the path changes to an absolute path. And I can't change it to a relative path manually by putting the three points in Found At. It switches back to the absolute path. It seems that in order to get a relative path, I have to detach and reattach the drawing with the new name?