inserting a file into a drawing

jquerel

I have an exercise where I created a title block. phase 2 of the exercise asks me to insert the title block into another existing dwg. I went to the insert tab then went to attach the file I had created for the title block. it's not working and I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. any help would be appreciated guys'.

Unless you check the "Specify on Screen" box, it will insert at 0,0,0. Have you done a zoom -> extents to see if it's somewhere in the drawing space?

If you do check the "Specify on Screen" box it will allow you to place the drawing when you exit the "Attach External Reference" window.

Did you create the Block in Modelspace?? when insert/xref anything into a drawing must be in modelspace or it wont work.

Also why cant you just xref it in?

I think '' the specify on screen box'' is in the right direction. I remember hearing it mentioned in class. how do I get there? I'm going to try copy/paste right now; although I think they meant for me to do it the other way.

If you type in XREF a window will pop up, in the top left corner is a sheet with a paperclip. It should say DWG on it, if you click that a window will pop up allowing you to locate the file you'd like to insert. When you hit open on that file another window pops up, on that window is an area called Insertion Point, there is a box you can check within that, that says Specify On-Screen. After hitting OK you are now placing the file you selected where ever you please.

hello all and thank you in advance. I am trying to draw cross sections in a 3 mile developed area. In these I am drawing water levels, wells and original topo of the land. I want to then put the as built on top and draw into the existing cross section. The only way I know how is to draw xlines up to a grid I mad and plot points. All the land are topo survey cordinates and have elevations already associated. Is there a better or faster way? I also have to make 4 cross sections, actually 8 if you include original and as built. Can I cut the 3 model and some how turn it into a cross section or what is the easiest way? Also I can keep the wells and other objects in the drawing to stay together. Thank you

hello all and thank you in advance. I am trying to draw cross sections in a 3 mile developed area. In these I am drawing water levels, wells and original topo of the land. I want to then put the as built on top and draw into the existing cross section. The only way I know how is to draw xlines up to a grid I mad and plot points. All the land are topo survey cordinates and have elevations already associated. Is there a better or faster way? I also have to make 4 cross sections, actually 8 if you include original and as built. Can I cut the 3 model and some how turn it into a cross section or what is the easiest way? Also I can keep the wells and other objects in the drawing to stay together. Thank you

You need to go to the Civil 3D & LDD forum and start your own thread.