Windows explorer

SunnyTurtle

Hi i have just had AutoCAD tell me that it is not the defalt program for dwg files. it gave me the option to let it change this and it is all good except with browsing through folders using windows explorer.

The dwg files used to appere first when i clicked on the type list in details view mode. the problem is now that they appear alpthbeticaly and i have to scroll down a long way to get to my dwg file does anyone know why this is and or how i can fix it.

When you're in the windows explorer, go to your view menu, and click on "details". That will make your files be sorted similarly to what you see below. Then by clicking on any of the headers, i.e. Name, Size, Type, etc, you can sort by what's in that column. If you notice, there's a little arrow head next to the title of the header. If it points up, it's an A-Z sort. If it points down, it's a Z to A sort. Works for any column you have displayed. You can find the newest file in the folder, or the biggest file, or whatever. If you want all the cad files grouped together, click on Type.

sort.jpg

You can sort by file type but wouldn't that mean BAK files will be listed before DWG files?

If you sort by type and all the bak files are up the top, hit type again and it reverses the list order

I get the impression the OP would like to see something like this...

abc.dwg

abc.bak

def.dwg

def.bak

123.dwg

123.bak

test.dwg

test.bak

Hi i have just had AutoCAD tell me that it is not the defalt program for dwg files. it gave me the option to let it change this and it is all good except with browsing through folders using windows explorer.

The dwg files used to appere first when i clicked on the type list in details view mode. the problem is now that they appear alpthbeticaly and i have to scroll down a long way to get to my dwg file does anyone know why this is and or how i can fix it.

If you Group by Type then AutoCAD Drawing will generally be at the top since it will be alphabetically grouped. If you have Adobe files they will show first.

In the Explorer, right click in the area where the drawings show, pick Group by, then pick Type.

Better still, turn off .bak creation. :twisted:

Sorry, too big a chicken for that. Have had them save my bacon once or twice. I do delete them when the job is completed and archived, however. I keep a redundant copy on an external drive so if it gets corrupted or clobbered some way I can get it back. Till that copy is made however, I feel better knowing it's there.

Better still, turn off .bak creation. :twisted:

yer that would be good but im a bit of a little girl.

I have windows 7 so now i group all the folders by file type so i can expanded dwg or bak depending on what i want