Microstation V8 Cell Libaries

Fastdraft

A while back I created a few cell libraries. Now I am trying to use them and am realizing that I created them at the wrong scale.... Every time I use one I need to scale it up by 8. Does anyone know a way that I can change the scale on the whole cell Library at once? I want to scale everything up in that library by 8 so that next time I go to use the cells I don’t need to scale them.:?

Hello Fastdraft, you can open the V8 cell library in MicroStation and each cell will be a model. Then you can run a Utilities>Batch Process on all the models.

Something like:

fit view extended

as=8

choose all

scale icon

xy=0,0

choose none

as=1

filedesign

HTH,

Bob Mecham

Thanks envisioncad, I am a little confused when i get in and have to right the text file???? i put in what you are telling me but i am still confused

Fastdraft, here is some more information on Batch Process.

Batch Process is a utility that will run a list of MicroStation commands on a group of files or directories. The command list can also include custom macros and mdl applications. The command list is a simple text file that can be edited in Notepad. A Batch Process job file containing the batch process settings can be stored and reused.

The Batch Process dialog is accessed from Utilities > Batch Process and is used setup, save and open the batch process jobs. The dialog will help control which files are added to the job and which files are processed.

batch.png

The Command File is a simple text file that has MicroStation key-in commands listed. Any line that begins with a pound symbol # will not be read as a command line. Multiple commands can be run in consecutive order and additional macros and mvba apps can be started.

command.png

Just try the keyins one at a time in the keyin browser to see what they do in your drawing. Then create the Text file with them all together and test it on a file. If you are still having trouble please let me know.

HTH,

Bob Mecham

Ok, I think I got them scaled using the batch Process.... How do you view all the model items so that can put them back into a cell library? I tired to just run the batch process on the cell library but it doesnt save the scale change back to the cell library that is already created?

Fastdraft, the cell library is just a DGN file with a different three letter extension. Always work with a copy the first time. Take your CEL file and rename it to DGN then you will be able to run Batch Process on all the models in the file. Then you can rename it back to CEL and reattach the library.

HTH,

Bob Mecham

Thanks, I can get the batch process to run but for some reason i cant get the scale factor to hold. it tells me that the process worked and I see that it is but after i get out of the drawing and try to use it as a cell library it is not working. I am just going to probably have to play with it more when i have time.

Ok, So I have been trying to work on scaling all the models in my cell library this morning with the batch process. It seems to run but doesnt save? this is what my text file is

scale

as=.6668192

The cell library is not read only and the models are not locked, I am puzzled my script file that I am using is shown below. and it tells me that the process ran but when i go back and messure the a component it is the same size as it was before I ran the batch process. scale.png

Fastdraft, go back to my first post. MicroStation does not know what the keyin "scale" is? You need to think of a script file as a list of steps that you would do in the program.

1. You need to set the scale factor "as=8"

2. You need to select the elements "choose all"

3. Then pick the tool "scale icon"

4. Then you accept the command "xy=0,0"

5. Dont forget to clear your selection set "choose none"

6. Set the scale factor back to 1 "as=1"

7. Finally Save your Settings "filedesign"

HTH,

Bob Mecham

Thanks so much for all your help! This is the first time I have worked with cells and have to make them work for lots of people. Thanks! I have the batch process working now :)