Q: Creating a circle in 3D.

detex

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum (first post)!

I come seeking help on an AutoCAD homework assignment. I'm trying to draw an object in 3D view, but I'm having trouble creating a circle in the Z direction. I know how to make circles on the X-Y plane but I can't figure out how to make one in the Z direction! :ouch:

I hope someone can help me out, for a better look at the thing I'm making I attached a picture so you can see what the object looks like, and more or less the "3D circle"! I also attached the actual AutoCAD file that I'm working on if it helps to take a look at that too. (The dimensions are 1:10)

2rc7jux.jpg

Thanks everyone ahead of time for the help! :)

-Matt

P.S.: I'm using AutoCAD version 2012.

Term Project.dwg

Welcome to Cadtutor

Circles can only be created on the XY plane, so you either have to rotate the UCS, or you create the circle first, and then rotate it using ROTATE3D, 3DROTATE, ALIGN, or the 3DGizmos.

Also, is it your intention to draw this with only 2D linework, or do you want to create a real 3D part? Take a look --> http://screencast.com/t/paSMBKFii9Fp

I tried to use ROTATE3D before I came to ask, but I couldn't figure out exactly how to use it. Every time it would mess up, but I'll follow the video and switch it into conceptual. I'm not quite sure if they want the drawing to be solid like the way you did it, but I think that's the best way to show the final product, so I'll also add that into the drawing.

Thanks a bunch for the video, it's super cool and very helpful :D!

Create the object as a solid not as a surface.

Being able to manipulate the UCS is a requirement for working in 3D as well. This can be done in a handful of ways. One such way is to use a feature called Dynamic UCS.

Nothing here makes sense.

Why would you model something at 1:10 rather than 1:1? That makes no sense at all?

Why would you model a 3D as wireframe when it is soooo much easier to do as a solid (which is more representative of the real world)?

Are you familiar with commands like Presspull or Extrude?

The title of your file is "Term Project". To me that implies significant prior instruction and this is end of course.

Has your instructor covered 3D (if not - why the assignment, there are a bunch of tutorials in my signature).

For something like this I would be learning a modern 3D MCAD program like Autodesk Inventor. Students can get Inventor (and AutoCAD) for free from http://www.autodesk.com along with curriculum materials for learning the softwares.

Could you post the actual assignment instructions here? Maybe the instructor wants an iso drawing. If not, I doubt they want a wireframe 3D, as mentioned, but instead wants a solid 3D object. But if you haven't had any instruction on 3D then probably not.

You can change the UCS in 2012 by picking on the UCSIcon and rotating it with the grips, so pick a grip on the ucsicon and move to bring the X-Y plane to the position you are needing, turn ortho on first.

Well everyone, I'll try and answer all of your questions.

First of all this is the term project, but this is only the extra credit part.

Second, I've attached the instructions below:

Created in AutoCAD:

•Elevation Views of the object

Front

Back

Side Views

•Section Views

X-axis (down the center of the object)

Y- axis (the other direction, down the center of the object)

•Plan View of the object

•Requirements:

Label Dimensions (on ALL drawings)

•Submittal of Term Project:

-PDF Format

•Bonus 8 points:

-Create a 3D Model of the Object

Thirdly, I created the object at a scale of 1:10 because if it was 1:1 I could not figure out how to zoom out enough to view the lines I was making so I figured I'd scale it down a bit to make that part easier. The instructor had us scale most of the drawings in the course to either 1:10 or 1:20, so I'm sure it's fine.

Also, the course to tell you all the truth was horrible. It was an online course where the professor didn't teach how to do any of the assignments, just expected us to learn from the textbook, so I'm basing all of my drawings off of the knowledge I gained from taking AutoCAD/Drafting in highschool for 3 years. I'm having trouble because the AutoCAD versions were really different :\. So, she never taught us anything, so I basically had no clue that there were different views i.e. 2-D wireframe, 3D Modeling, ... etc.

Nonetheless, I was able to create the 3D Model based on the video posted above. All I have to do now is the other views. I was hoping there would be a shortcut since the 3D model can basically be viewed in all of the forms listed above that she's asking for, but I'm pretty sure she wants them all drawn out individually so there's probably no real way to get around that.

Your instructor dropped the ball. She should have told you to draw your objects in model space at FULL size. The days of "scaling' model space objects is long past.

She should have also instructed you in the use of paper space layouts. It would have been so much easier to create all the 2D views from the 3D object and that includes sections as well.

Where did you find this course anyway? Who teaches it? What is the name of the school or the course itself?

I think the teacher needs to go back to school herself.

Get your money back.

This is a trivial problem using AutoCAD 2012.

You have not been taught properly.

Start with the base of the part (likely the first profile you drew)

Presspull the height.

See if you can figure out how to add the left side vertical and then the cylindrical features.

In 2012 creating the orthographic view of the solid is very fast and easy.

this took about 15 minutes.

I misread the height of the cylinder (it says 26, but I thought it said 25)

I don't know what that 20 dimension is that shoots off at an angle under the cylinder, but I'm guessing it's the width of the piece that supports the cylinder.

part.jpg

Your instructor dropped the ball. She should have told you to draw your objects in model space at FULL size. The days of "scaling' model space objects is long past.

She should have also instructed you in the use of paper space layouts. It would have been so much easier to create all the 2D views from the 3D object and that includes sections as well.

Where did you find this course anyway? Who teaches it? What is the name of the school or the course itself?

I think the teacher needs to go back to school herself.

I agree with you, the course was definitely taught horribly. The course is from my university, Florida International University, I'm a civil engineering major and this class is one of the required courses to graduate. The name of the course is EGN 1110C. I'm not going to give the name of the professor even though I'd gladly like to.

detex: Is it too late to get your money back?

Yes it's too late. Either way I need to take this course and this was the only one offered for the summer semester. I should get an A though and that's all that I really care about anyways...

this took about 15 minutes.

I misread the height of the cylinder (it says 26, but I thought it said 25)

I don't know what that 20 dimension is that shoots off at an angle under the cylinder, but I'm guessing it's the width of the piece that supports the cylinder.

Hey, I'm looking at your drawing and I see that under the cylinder you were able to filet the little round edges that touch the bottom of the cylinder. I can't seem to figure out how to do that myself, do you mind guiding me through that part please?

There are forum members here at CT who could do a better job than your professor.

When do you get to do civil design using CAD?

There are forum members here at CT who could do a better job than your professor.

When do you get to do civil design using CAD?

To tell you the truth, I'm not quite sure when or if I'll be using the program again. If the chance does come up that I get to use the program again, it won't be for another year when I get into more of the civil engineering courses, rather than the requirements (ie. Differential Equations, Multivariable calc, Chemistry 1 & 2, and a few others).

.... I should get an A though and that's all that I really care about anyways...

That is sad! I would expect to get something for my money (or taxpayer's money) rather than simply purchase a grade.

The FILLET command will/should take care of the edges you are referring to. Use the CHAIN option and pick your edges carefully.

Hey, I'm looking at your drawing and I see that under the cylinder you were able to filet the little round edges that touch the bottom of the cylinder. I can't seem to figure out how to do that myself, do you mind guiding me through that part please?

I didn't save the file last week and I'm a little foggy this morning. But your instructions actually look like it dimensions those arcs to the midpoint. Which is a little strange. So what I did was create a quarter circle with Radius 5, set that 14 above the base and 10 from the midline Horizontal. Do the same for the one that is 18 above the bottom of base. Then connect with a line from tangent to tangent and fillet / trim the excess.

untitled.jpg

I only took summer classes if I knew the professor. They way too often, get instructors for the summer class that either do not care to teach the course or they are just inefficient.