AARA_ACAD

For about a week now my XREF function has not been working properly. It used to work just find but now when i get into the XREF menu and click on Attach DWG (like I always do) I scroll through my files to find the one I want and its either not there, or its not the updated file, its an older version.

Even with my old drawings that used to be fine do not function properly now either. If I modify the original drawing, then go to my detail page where it is XREF'ed, click on Refresh, it will net update the XREF.

I am completely stumped as are the guys in my office. I am thinking about dumping AUTOCAD all together and reloading it to see if this will fix it. I don't know what else to do.

Please Help!

Have the file paths changed by moving the project or possibly a new server if you are on a network?

Did the XREFs get "bound" to the host file?

I will try to move the file.

I don't know anything about making the files "bound". Can you tell me more about this?

When an XREF is bound, it is changed from an external reference to a block that resides within the file. Subsequent changes to the original XREF'd file will not show in the base file.

Well binding them doesn't seem like what I want to do. I like being able to amend my details and update all my plans where the references are. I will have to try changing the file paths and hope that will solve this issue. If not I will dump the program and reload it.

Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't suggesting that you do those. I was wondering if they had already been done as possible reasons for your problems. I don't think it is a problem with your installation. There has to be another reason for your issues and I was just trying to sort it out.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. No, I haven't bound anything. I can't seem to figure it out. I was able to XREF things fine for the last 3 months, which is how long this program has been installed on this computer. I haven't done anything different or changed any settings. Our server crashed about 3 weeks ago, and that may be around the time that this could have happened. I just didn't have to XREF till about a week or so ago and thats when I noticed the problems.

No problem. Here are some more things to check/try.

Are the files on a network or saved locally?

Check to make sure the XREFs are indeed XREFs and not blocks.

Are the files still shown in the XREF manager?

Try to repath and see if that helps.

Detach and reattach.

Hey! Got it solved.

For some reason when autocad was defaulting all my saves and changes to the C drive, not my S drive. I don't know how this change occurred or when, but that was the issue. We finally put it together when my co worker couldn't see the changes I was making to a drawing.

Thanks for the help RobDraw.