Path array using an ellipse

dkhoe

I would like to arrange equally spaced circles around an ellipse. I understand I can do this with the Divide command, as referenced in a previous thread on a similar subject http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?50743

But I thought I could also use the Path Array command using an ellipse as the path.

What I get is the replicated objects (small circles) following some totally random path. Strange that this happens only with an ellipse - seems to work OK if the path is a circle or spline. Does anyone else come up with the same problem?

I'm using 2012 student edition.

David

I assume you are trying to space evenly given your example of using the divide command. I encountered your issue when the object to be arrayed was located on the top quadrant, but when I arrayed from one of the side quadrants it worked like a charm. Try putting your object on a different quadrant and array from there.

edit: after a little more playing around, it seems to create a wierd path unless you place your object at the origin of the ellipse. Autocad will show you which quadrant this is after you click your ellipse to set it as the path, just follow the line from your cursor, and you will know which quadrant to put your object on for the ellipse to work correctly.

It works if you start from the left quadrant, but thats the only way I've been able to get it to work so far.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30049[/ATTACH]

Not to diminish your work-a-round, but I believe it's not necessarily the "left" quadrant, rather the first point used to define the axis of the ellipse regardless of the direction relative to the center, and it still only works properly if the object being arrayed is in line with the center and the first axis point.

I only have 2010 and it doesn't do array path as far as I know so I'm curious...what happens if the object to be arrayed is at the center of the ellipse? The other thing I'm curious about is has anyone tried trimming the ellipse in half? Does it do the same thing? If not and you have an even number of objects with one at each of the quadrants, you could do half of it and mirror the others.

Another bit of curiosity...as in Rebel's example, there are 12 objects. Any mulitple of 4 would put an object at a quadrant point. What happens if you have an odd number of objects, or an even number that's not a multiple of 4?

Here ya go Jack. I put the array object at the center, and also trimmed the ellipse. The problem seems to be the way AutoCAD locks onto the "path" but does more of a kaleidoscope thing from a single point rather than actually following it as a path. Just under-developed, IMO.

Thanks Nestly...man, they have got that screwed up with a capital screw! The circle at the center is pretty cool...useless, but cool. They couldn't have made that happen on purpose if they wanted to!!

What a mess. Think I'll stick with 2010 for a while. Not seeing anything that makes me wanna upgrade.

Thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions. Nestly, your videos are awesome...

I ended up using the Divide command with the Block option (converted my circle into a block), but I'll keep playing around with Path Array starting with a different part of the ellipse.

David

Not to diminish your work-a-round, but I believe it's not necessarily the "left" quadrant, rather the first point used to define the axis of the ellipse regardless of the direction relative to the center, and it still only works properly if the object being arrayed is in line with the center and the first axis point.
Correct. I called it left in my second post only because it happened to be origin point. In my first post I mentioned the probability of it being the origin and not necessarily always the left. Thanks for the back up though, Ive worked 50 hours in three days so as helpful as Im trying to be, I'm dead tired and may not be as coherent as I think I am :lol:

I was wondering what would happen if you draw a line between the circle (to be arrayed) and the origin point of the ellipse. Then arrayed both the circle and the line with the Path Array. Perhaps the end of the line would trace round the ellipse.

Just curious because I can't do it, but it might work perfectly. It is just that the Path Array might not being used as designed. :?