Dimensioning anomolies

Rowan

How can I modify the scale dimension number for one layer without it affecting all layers in a drawing? Sometimes my system automatically does this and sometimes not. How do I control it?

Can you post an example of your problem?

I do not think that that will work because it will be to do with the configuration of the computer and the software and so the problem will not display itself on your set up. I have a drawing in Acd2011 comprising a model space and 4 layout sheets. Sheet 1 is A1 scale 1:80, sheet 2 is not yet set up, sheet 3 is A3 scale 1:5 and sheet 4 is A3 scale 1:8. If I set up in Layout 1 and set FORMAT / DIMENSION STYLE / MODIFY / FIT / USE OVERALL SCALE OF / "80" then my dimension scale is good for the layout but if I then go to layout 3 the dimensions are rediculously large. so I reset FORMAT / DIMENSION STYLE / MODIFY / FIT / USE OVERALL SCALE OF / to "5" which is good for layout 3 but all the other layouts are wrong. This function happens in about 1 in 5 drawings because generally the layouts keep their own scale. How do I control this?

I do not think that that will work because it will be to do with the configuration of the computer and the software and so the problem will not display itself on your set up. I have a drawing in Acd2011 comprising a model space and 4 layout sheets. Sheet 1 is A1 scale 1:80, sheet 2 is not yet set up, sheet 3 is A3 scale 1:5 and sheet 4 is A3 scale 1:8. If I set up in Layout 1 and set FORMAT / DIMENSION STYLE / MODIFY / FIT / USE OVERALL SCALE OF / "80" then my dimension scale is good for the layout but if I then go to layout 3 the dimensions are rediculously large. so I reset FORMAT / DIMENSION STYLE / MODIFY / FIT / USE OVERALL SCALE OF / to "5" which is good for layout 3 but all the other layouts are wrong. This function happens in about 1 in 5 drawings because generally the layouts keep their own scale. How do I control this?

How can I modify the scale dimension number for one layer without it affecting all layers in a drawing? Sometimes my system automatically does this and sometimes not. How do I control it?

Are you using AutoCAD 2002 or AutoCAD 2011? Are you dimensioning in Paper or Model? Are you using annotative dimensions? Are you using associative diminsions?

You need to post a drawing that has the problem and one that doesn't.

Are you using AutoCAD 2002 or AutoCAD 2011? Are you dimensioning in Paper or Model? Are you using annotative dimensions? Are you using associative diminsions?

You need to post a drawing that has the problem and one that doesn't.

Autocad 2011 not 2002 which is something that was automatically generated from the system.

In my version of 2011 if annotative is selected then you cannot use the "use overall scale of" option. (What are associative dimensions? I thought all dimensions were associated to something otherwise they would be meaningless)

I avoid using the viewport system and use what used to be called the paper space to generate sets of 2d drawings on what is now the various layout sheets.