Block references itself??

Yamma

I've made a block called X33. When I try to insert it to a drawing, I receive a message "Block X33 references itself" and it won't insert the block. What does it mean and how do I fix it?

The message "block references itself" occurs when you create a block that has a block inside of it with the same name as the block you are creating. If you create a block called X33 with a block called X33 inside it, you will get this message when you try to insert it. You will need to explode your block and redefine it. Make sure you run the explode command several times to make sure everything gets exploded.

I made the block again and now it works fine. I'm still confused about the error cause I've always made blocks the same way and never had problems...

• 4 years later...

i had this problem a couple of times, and i know the topic is old, but my addition is, rename the block.

In my case it was an dynamic block, and i didn't want to make it again.

So use the RENAME command en rename the block (add an letter or number to it or someting).

• 1 year later...

I´ve also got an addition, to this old topic:

When you have exploded the block, it may not work anyway, because the block is still in the drawing. Use command "purge" to get rid of unused objects.

The block referencing itself is a common mistake for a few decades now. Usually someone makes the block, then copies a inserted version of it into a new file (many ways of doing that). Then they save that file with the same name as the block (here's the mistake).

Now when you insert & browse to that file, ACad generates a new block from the DWG file's entities. It notices there's a block inserted inside the DWG, so it imports that block's definition. But then notices it's the same name as the block it's busy creating!

The "official" way to fix this is to use the WBLOCK command to export ONLY the definition of the block and not a reference to it as well! Otherwise save the DWG with a DIFFERENT name than the block, but then each time you insert it you'll need to explode it (otherwise dynamic properties and attributes won't work as usual and you need to purge). My "preferred" method is to have a DWG as a library of related blocks, then use Design Centre to insert the blocks from there.