create new block glitch

sallycatriona

hey guys, I am having an issue with acad 2011. Sometimes when I try and create a new block it just doesn't work, everything goes through as though it should have worked, there is no error message or anything, but my items do not get converted to a block and if I go to insert block the new one I just made is not there.

It's really strange, sometimes it works fine, but other times I try to create a block for ages and I just can't get it to work.

Any suggestions? Restarting the program doesn't appear to work, I haven't specifically tried restarting my whole computer to see if that helps, I usually just try and manage without creating the block.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Sally.

ps. sorry if this question has been asked already - I did try and do a search but I couldn't find a thread relating to this issue!!

Without seeing the exact steps you are taking it would be difficult to determine what is going wrong. Can you post a sample drawing with an object or objects that you tried to block but the procedure failed? Someone here will take a look at the drawing and will try to determine what happened.

block issue 2.jpg

So this is a photo of a drawing of a front on sofa and a side on armchair I drew. I had no trouble converting the sofa to a block, but I can't get the armchair to work.

I have tried selecting the objects in the armchair, and then clicking 'create' in the 'insert' menu. Then I fill in all the details in the box (as shown) and click 'ok' but it doesn't work. I have also tried clicking 'create' first and then clicking 'select objects' after to then go back and select the armchair, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I am stuck as to what I am doing wrong, I am pretty sure it was one or the other of the above methods that I followed to convert the sofa into a block, I really can't think of anything I did differently!

Thanks,

Sally

block issue.jpg

haha, I figured it out. I had accidentally clicked "specify on-screen" for the base point option, but then I wasn't clicking on the screen when I exited the block creator, because I didn't feel like I needed to because the items were already on screen. I usually just keep that check box blank. Problem solvered, it was really bugging me!! Moving the furniture around when it's not a block is tedious!