Drawing pipes in PLAIN Autocad

bigN

Hi, after seeing few videos about how easy is creating pipes in sketchup I desided to try the same technique in plain Autocad (not MEP or PLANT).

So, this is where I get confused. I am starting to draw a polyline, (which will be used as a path in extrude command for circle) but I cant to raise it in Z-axis. I need to change the ucs and then I can do it, which is an extra, and always confusing) step which I am trying to avoid.

Also, I've tryed to use 3Dpolyline but it seems that I cant fillet it (elbow creation).

So my question is what is correct proccess to create 3d pipes in plain Autocad?

Thanks.

Each person will have his or her own way of doing it. You have already discovered a couple of the drawbacks to doing 3D piping in plain AutoCAD but you are generally going in the right direction. One thing that could make it easier would be to use a library of 3D fittings for your elbows, tees, reducers, flanges, etc. You can make these yourself, download them for free (if you can find them) or buy pre-made block libraries.

Well, I do have 3D fittings but using them for elbows or tees is an additional work, which I am trying to avoid.

So what are other ways to create pipes in plain AutoCAD? or to be more specific

Is there a way to create a polyline freely in 3d space which later can be used as a path for a circle extrusion?

Since you have your 3D fittings already all you would have to do is locate them on your 3Dpolyline path then fill in the straight runs between them.

After reading my last post it seem that I am lazy person:).... belive me I am not, I am just trying to find more efficient way of working.

Regaring your last post it is correct for tees, but its not going to work for elbows (I think).

So why polylines are locked with only X and Y-axis? and then I draw on Z-axis... I am getting non complanar error?