Roof problem on L shaped building

Bogbadbob658

Hi

Before I start I'd better explain I'm self taught on both AutoCAD and Architecture. I have a building that is slightly 'L' shaped and I'm trying to add a roof.There is a gable on both sides and gable to the front projection. However when I create the roof and add a node along the one side to change from a slope to a gable it throws a wobbly.Is it possible to change from a gable to slope in the same plane? I've attached file that shows the result I get. The roof to the right shows how it should look but the two roofs should intersect

Thanks.

Roof.dwg

I wondered what you meant by "slightly" L shaped lol

Your best bet is to model it as two separate roofs - a bit like you have done in your right-hand model. They key difference is that you need to allow the smaller roof to project "into" the bigger one to at least the point where the ridge of the smaller would hit the bigger roof. For convenience I just run it the level with the ridge of the bigger roof.

You can then trim the two roofs (well, three, I suppose) roofs back to make a neat intersection when you convert them to roof slabs.

dJE

Thanks for your suggestion. I have already managed to do it using roof slabs but I would like to be able to do it in one go using the roof option but it doesn't seem that it will be possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Try this:

Draw your roof outline as a closed polyline.

type ROOF

rather than hitting ADD, try CONVERT, and select the polyline.

dJE

I tried this but I can't see a way of controlling the hips and gables so there is a lot of editing needed.