Railings with varying heights?

Bogbadbob658

I cannot open the drawing to see what you are doing, but sloped rails are done all the time. They have to parallel the walking surface they are built on, and must be at specific heights by building code restrictions.

I am pretty sure the real world physical conditions and AutoCAD parameters allow the possibility of a railing that veries in height, curverd or otherwise. However, the building code sanctioning bodies in most US jurisdictions would have a cow over it and make you tear it down. Another possibility would be to build the decorative railing at any height or configuration you wish, and then install a handrail along side of it that meets code restrictions.

I've attached a copy of the drawing in 2004 format which hopefully you can open.

My issue is I'm using the railings as guarding to a raised platform and it doesn't have to be parallel to the floor. I'm struggling to work out how to make the height vary as shown.

railings2.dwg

I've attached a copy of the drawing in 2004 format which hopefully you can open.

My issue is I'm using the railings as guarding to a raised platform and it doesn't have to be parallel to the floor. I'm struggling to work out how to make the height vary as shown.

OF course, as long as it is a barrier railing, it does not have to be parallel to the walking surface as a handrail would, it only has to be at or above the minimum height everywhere. Are you trying to decide on aesthetics? I would go with the design that complements the design theme and period of the surrounding structures. Personally, I prefer the curve, but it will be a fabrication nightmare for the average miscellaneous metals contractor. Typical contractors don't have the equipment to make long radius bends in the rail stock.

Don't have the pickets running directly into a railing transition or tangent point. That is another thing the fab guys are going to have difficulty with. They have to get in there with a hole punch machine and to weld the pickets in. It is also more pleasing to the eye if the rail joints are not cluttered with a picket.

As Dana has alluded to, keep in mind while designing this that someone will actually have to make it. You can draw anything, but familiarize yourself with the techniques that will be used to manufacture this thing. Round tubing is much easier to bend than square tubing, but it is much easier to locate punched or drilled holes in square tubing. By the same token, if you punch or drill holes on a straight section of tube and then bend it, the holes will be greatly distorted. Remember also that the thing can't be one piece for ever, it will have to be built and assembled in manageable sections.

Dana and I both have assumed you're making this railing out of some sort of metal, if it's wood or composite that will complicate your design even further.

Here is a version of your arc design in 3d, with square tubing. I didn't bother to put the radii on the corners of the tube, but you'll get the idea. I just assumed that the pickets were the same size as the top rail for simplicity's sake. The one on the left is easier to construct, but not very appealing visually. The one on the right is more attractive, but the guys in the shop will be calling you bad names.

guardrail.jpg

Thanks for your help but how do I create it using the 'railings' tool in Architecture?

Sorry, I thought you were asking if it was physically or mechanically possible to make one like that. As for how to do it in 2012, I don't know. In ADT2007, you'd need to create a custom profile for the top rail with the design you wanted, then add it through the style manager if I recall correctly. I don't do much of that, most of my work is curtain wall.

I'll have to bow out too. As far as the mechanics of building railings, I've drawn miles of it that exists all over the Mid Atlantic US, but I've never used AutoCAD Architecture either.

Your first two posts stated that you were struggling with the railing, not that you were strugggling with the software. If you have an issue, state it completely and in as detailed a manner as possible. Vaugeness merely inreases the posting count.