Creating a 3D School Map

harkan

Hi AutoCad Community! I desperately need your help:ouch:.

For my school project, I've been assigned to update the school maps. I use AutoCAD 2012, but I also have Revit and Inventor on my school computer. The problem that I am having is that the maps I were given are in 2D (they're basically blueprints of each floor). My teacher wants me to make it more modern-looking, meaning he wants me to be able to show depth and make the map more 3D. If you're not sure what I mean, he wants me to make it look something like this (https://castorforms.house.gov/images/clean_mall_map1_.jpg), except that it would be for one school building, and the room numbers and names have to be visible for all three floors.

Having learned only basic knowledge of CAD and Revit, I am stuck on how to create the "layered" school map. Is there any way to do it on CAD, or should I use another program? Can I use the current 2D blueprints, or do I need to create a new set of diagrams? (FYI, the 2D blueprints look like http://www.polingconstruction.com/images/pics_forsale/diamondking_blueprint_small.gif).

Thanks so much for your help guys!:oops:

I would recommend that you use Revit for the 3D building and use AutoCAD for the map. I would not use Inventor to do either of these. Just my personal opinion.

Updating the school map (showing where all the buildings are located) isn't exactly the same as drawing a building in 3D showing all the floors and individual rooms.

As Remark said, I would use AutoCAD for the map and revit for the 3-D model of the building. If you're wanting that same 3-D look i would recommend drawing all the vertical lines at 60 degrees. This actually sounds exactly like an assignment my highschool drafting teacher would have assigned us haha. He had some cool projects (design wagons, signs, new classrooms, sheds and even another teachers cottage etc.).

Well looks like revit it is. I dont have much experience in Revit, got part way through the tutorial book they give you, got bored and made some parts for my paintball gun... lol

He just might or at least the college might. They are eligible for free educational version of many AutoDesk programs. Good suggestion Murph.