Choose multiple text items on a drawing, then edit each one

tarment

In the earlier versions (2000) we were able to take a P&ID, choose about 7 different text items, (cue them up), and then perform the edit on each one after choosing. It was TEDIT we were using and I can't remember what was done to allow this. This was set up for text only edit. We have not been able to mirror this in 2012. The closest command is DDEDIT which allows us to choose, change, choose, change. Would like to be able to choose, choose, choose, change, change, change.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Welcome to CADTutor!

Give this a try:

(defun c:TEDIT ( / ss)
 (if (setq ss (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "MTEXT,TEXT"))))
   ((lambda (i / e)
      (while (setq e (ssname ss (setq i (1+ i))))
        (if (= "MTEXT" (cdr (assoc 0 (entget e))))
          (command "._mtedit" e)
          (command "._ddedit" e ""))))
     -1)
   (prompt "\n** Nothing selected ** "))
 (princ))

Edit - This is for MText only selection, let me know if that is an issue. Code revised to allow MText, and Text selection/manipulation.

ddedit command call works on mtext also ;)

That it does, but I can't get it to work on multiple Text items with differing content. Maybe because of a system variable setting on my machine.

(defun c:TEdit (/ ss i)
 (if (setq ss (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "ATTDEF,MTEXT,MULTILEADER,TEXT"))))
   (repeat (setq i (sslength ss)) (command "_.ddedit" (ssname ss (setq i (1- i))) ""))
 )
 (princ)
)

Would you please explain the status a little bit more ?

In DDEDIT (the stock command) you can select multiple MTEXTs, click into the contents box in properties, and cycle through a selection set of them, assigning different values to each one, in turn. With a selection of TEXT items in the same situation, you can assign all of them the same value, but I don't believe that you can cycle through them, as you can with the MTEXT items. I don't have any need of this, just remarking, as I took that to be what the OP was hoping for. I see that alanjt seems to have stepped into the void, and presumably will have delivered a satisfactory solution for the OP.