Civil3D 2011 > Multiple polygons with object data > All need labels >HELP.

SMP

I have asked a few friends and googled this all morning. And i am stumped!!! but i am confident there is a way to do this.

so for simplicity sake i am going to dumb this down...

- I am working in Civil 3D 2011

- I have a huge amount of polygons all with object data.

- One field is the name of each polygon

- I need all these polygons labelled with the name in the aforementioned field.

How do i go about doing this? This isn't a one off thing this is something i will probably have ot do many time over the next few years.

NOTE:

I have been pointed to the _ADEQUERY command. It doesn't appear to do anything other then tell me i am a dumb human and to turn around...So i am likely doing something wrong?

I have also been pointed to the Map Annotation tool under the annotaion tab in the ribbon. This was like trying to read greek instructions for building a car.

So that said i am sure this is not an easy thing to accomplish but i know it can be done.

So, anyone care to explain it me as if i were a 6 year old ?

Ok i found a suitable work around with some old school commands...

01] open an empty drawing

02] _MAPIMPORT the shape

03] save the drawing as BEFORE.DWG and close it

04] open an empty drawing

05] _ADEDRAWINGS and attach BEFORE.DWG

06] _ADEQVIEWDWGS to see your map

07] _ADEQUERY

08] under QUERY TYPE choose LOCATION -> ALL -> OK

09] under QUERY MODE choose DRAW

10] under OPTIONS choose ALTER PROPERTIES -> TEXT -> EXPRESSION -> OBJECT DATA

11] choose the attribute to label -> OK -> input an suitable text height -> OK -> OK

12] EXECUTE QUERY

13] zoom extents and save as AFTER.DWG

Credit goes to antoniovinci @ http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/LABEL-OBJECT-DATA/td-p/3224764/page/2

I find it a little sad i can't just use the define query tool within my working .dwg ?!

But this does accomplish what i need to do. Thansk for anyone out there thinking about this.

A 6 yr old or a Canadian surveyor?

OK forget the ADEQUERY, that requires using the map attach dwg and creates a new dwg that you may not want to do if you have C3D objects in the dwg which will cause you to lost those pacels/alignments,etc......

With the map annotation tools you need to make sure you are in the map workspace and not in any of the C3D workspaces (unless you like using the command line and typing in longggggggg commands.

1. Make sure you know the name of the OD table and the field that contains the data you want to label from.

2. Wait a min...... I need to fire up Map3D and load a dwg to make sure I get ALL the steps for. ........ Just a few more seconds please............. OK I'm ready......

With your dwg opened and in a map3d workspace. On the ribbon is the Annotation tab, on that tab should be the Map Annotation panel. Your screen/ribbon may vary depending on your w/s, version, spelling of the word Color with the canuck accent etc.

In the panel are the two main commands, Insert and Define template, or the command versions MAPANNINSERT & MAPANNTEMPLATE. You need to use the define template first before you can insert any labels. SO......Yep pick on the Define Template icon. No the Define Template........ the one to the right....... yes that one........ GOOD JOB SMP. :)

3. The Define Annotation Template dialog should open. Pick the NEW button, Give the template a name, John, Paul, Steve, or whatever as long as you can remember it, then click OK........BUT wait.... don't worry when the dwg editor window comes up blank, no you did not lose your dwg..........

4. After you click OK in the name the template little box, Map3D opens the block editor just like if you had typed in BEDIT to edit a block......NO! don't type BEDIT to check to see if Mr. Murph is right........

Now what you need to do is define your block with the info you want the field to label from. You should have the Block Editor tab as the current and on it should be a panel named ANNOTATION with one icon in it named Edit Annotation Text. Yes it reads EDIT not create, I know you can't edit something until you CREATE it but the fine folks at Autodesk fail to listen to me for the past 10 years and don't get it either. Anyways that's the icon/button you need to click next. NOTE if you don't see the icon in C3D or have the Map version of the ribbon tab for Block Editor type in at the command line MAPANNTEXT for it. Press the enter key, twice if you use the command line after typing MAPANNTEXT only once if you used the ribbon icon.

5. The Annotation Text dialog should open up. In the box under where it says TAG , type in a name for a tag, BOB works ok but you may want to use P_Name for parcel name. Keep in mind this is the same as any other block attribute tag for a block and you need to follow the same rules, no spaces or weird symbols like @$*% etc. Next, on the far right under the Value text box pick the square icon that looks like a hillbilly's family tree (only has one branch) to open the Expression Chooser dialog. Now expand the tree for the Object Data all the way down to the OD table and field that you want to label from. (see 1 above). Select the field name from the list and then click OK. Back on the Annotation Text dialog you can set a layer/color for the text label of your choice, same for the text style and etc. Now before you pick OK change the height of the text. Again the fine folks at Autodesk didn't listen and think Civl/GIS/Survey people work in inches and/or mm and not feet or meters so it defaults to some small little bitty number for our text labels that we can not see in our dwg. 10-100 works good depending on your parcel size. (that's 10 -100 FEET for me in US you canucks may want to use something that relates to that in meters) Now when you pick OK watch the command line, it ask to Specify left point of text(or what ever you set justification to). Type in 0,0 then enter. This is the insertion point for the block. Just use 0,0 and don't question Mr. Murph. Zoom Extends if you want and you should see your TAG name.

6. Now if you want you can add some fancy geometry to the label, like a nice box around the text in a nice pink color or a mini MURPH logo. BUT that's next weeks class (or read my blog).

Now close the block editor by picking on the Close Block editor on the ribbon, select SAVE Map_Ann_Template_xxxxxxxxxx.

7. Back in the Define Template dialog, pick Apply then OK. (don't ask why I say pick apply but I always do, cause you apply that later.) You should be back in your dwg, see I told you it was still there (step 3)

8. Now you're ready to INSERT the blocks. NO! don't use the INSERT command............Listen to the teacher and do as I say, don't assume kids.

Click on the Insert icon in the Map Annotation panel of the ribbon. (mapanninsert if you don't have the ribbon panel)

In the Insert Annotation dialog place a check mark in the box next to the template mane you created by selecting it. Now click on the Insert button at the bottom of the dialog.

9. Select all the objects you want to label that have the Object Data attached to. A crossing window select works if you want to label all at once.

10. Forward my resume to EVERY ONE you know that needs a good MAP3D guru.

Man that's a longggggggggggg reply.

Yea, should be in the Map forum. :)

It said Civil3D in the heading, so I moved it to the Civil3D forum - nothing in the OPost said MAP, did I miss something?

It said Civil3D in the heading, so I moved it to the Civil3D forum - nothing in the OPost said MAP, did I miss something?

Nope, Civil 3D is built on top of MAP3D and its a Map3D function that the question is about. I'm happy where it's at. :D

Holy. Thanks murph i will try that as soon as i can.

Circumstances being what they are i am am tied up this morning but again will try as soon as i can.

Also thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Civil and Map forums!!

Hey Murph,

Worked like a charm!!! Much better then the other way i found. only trouble was is they all came in as blocks but nothing a quick select and burst couldn't fix.

I have sent a PDF around of instructions.

And not to bragg but i live in an office. We save the cube farms for interns and summer help.

• 3 years later...

Ok, so I'm using AutoCAD Civil 3D with and also without the ESRI plug in and I have successfully completed this process twice. Now, I want to label more data. I have inserted parcel IDs and now I want to add owner names and addresses. For the parcel IDs I chose .LABEL for where to put the text. For the names I chose .CENTROID, thinking that would be a different location. However, all of the Owner name text came in right on top of the Parcel IDs. So, what's the fix? How do I choose a location for the additional labels?

A 6 yr old or a Canadian surveyor?

OK forget the ADEQUERY, that requires using the map attach dwg and creates a new dwg that you may not want to do if you have C3D objects in the dwg which will cause you to lost those pacels/alignments,etc......

With the map annotation tools you need to make sure you are in the map workspace and not in any of the C3D workspaces (unless you like using the command line and typing in longggggggg commands.

1. Make sure you know the name of the OD table and the field that contains the data you want to label from.

2. Wait a min...... I need to fire up Map3D and load a dwg to make sure I get ALL the steps for. ........ Just a few more seconds please............. OK I'm ready......

With your dwg opened and in a map3d workspace. On the ribbon is the Annotation tab, on that tab should be the Map Annotation panel. Your screen/ribbon may vary depending on your w/s, version, spelling of the word Color with the canuck accent etc.

In the panel are the two main commands, Insert and Define template, or the command versions MAPANNINSERT & MAPANNTEMPLATE. You need to use the define template first before you can insert any labels. SO......Yep pick on the Define Template icon. No the Define Template........ the one to the right....... yes that one........ GOOD JOB SMP. :)

3. The Define Annotation Template dialog should open. Pick the NEW button, Give the template a name, John, Paul, Steve, or whatever as long as you can remember it, then click OK........BUT wait.... don't worry when the dwg editor window comes up blank, no you did not lose your dwg..........

4. After you click OK in the name the template little box, Map3D opens the block editor just like if you had typed in BEDIT to edit a block......NO! don't type BEDIT to check to see if Mr. Murph is right........

Now what you need to do is define your block with the info you want the field to label from. You should have the Block Editor tab as the current and on it should be a panel named ANNOTATION with one icon in it named Edit Annotation Text. Yes it reads EDIT not create, I know you can't edit something until you CREATE it but the fine folks at Autodesk fail to listen to me for the past 10 years and don't get it either. Anyways that's the icon/button you need to click next. NOTE if you don't see the icon in C3D or have the Map version of the ribbon tab for Block Editor type in at the command line MAPANNTEXT for it. Press the enter key, twice if you use the command line after typing MAPANNTEXT only once if you used the ribbon icon.

5. The Annotation Text dialog should open up. In the box under where it says TAG , type in a name for a tag, BOB works ok but you may want to use P_Name for parcel name. Keep in mind this is the same as any other block attribute tag for a block and you need to follow the same rules, no spaces or weird symbols like @$*% etc. Next, on the far right under the Value text box pick the square icon that looks like a hillbilly's family tree (only has one branch) to open the Expression Chooser dialog. Now expand the tree for the Object Data all the way down to the OD table and field that you want to label from. (see 1 above). Select the field name from the list and then click OK. Back on the Annotation Text dialog you can set a layer/color for the text label of your choice, same for the text style and etc. Now before you pick OK change the height of the text. Again the fine folks at Autodesk didn't listen and think Civl/GIS/Survey people work in inches and/or mm and not feet or meters so it defaults to some small little bitty number for our text labels that we can not see in our dwg. 10-100 works good depending on your parcel size. (that's 10 -100 FEET for me in US you canucks may want to use something that relates to that in meters) Now when you pick OK watch the command line, it ask to Specify left point of text(or what ever you set justification to). Type in 0,0 then enter. This is the insertion point for the block. Just use 0,0 and don't question Mr. Murph. Zoom Extends if you want and you should see your TAG name.

6. Now if you want you can add some fancy geometry to the label, like a nice box around the text in a nice pink color or a mini MURPH logo. BUT that's next weeks class (or read my blog).

Now close the block editor by picking on the Close Block editor on the ribbon, select SAVE Map_Ann_Template_xxxxxxxxxx.

7. Back in the Define Template dialog, pick Apply then OK. (don't ask why I say pick apply but I always do, cause you apply that later.) You should be back in your dwg, see I told you it was still there (step 3)

8. Now you're ready to INSERT the blocks. NO! don't use the INSERT command............Listen to the teacher and do as I say, don't assume kids.

Click on the Insert icon in the Map Annotation panel of the ribbon. (mapanninsert if you don't have the ribbon panel)

In the Insert Annotation dialog place a check mark in the box next to the template mane you created by selecting it. Now click on the Insert button at the bottom of the dialog.

9. Select all the objects you want to label that have the Object Data attached to. A crossing window select works if you want to label all at once.

10. Forward my resume to EVERY ONE you know that needs a good MAP3D guru.

Man that's a longggggggggggg reply.

Ok, so I'm using AutoCAD Civil 3D with and also without the ESRI plug in and I have successfully completed this process twice. Now, I want to label more data. I have inserted parcel IDs and now I want to add owner names and addresses. For the parcel IDs I chose .LABEL for where to put the text. For the names I chose .CENTROID, thinking that would be a different location. However, all of the Owner name text came in right on top of the Parcel IDs. So, what's the fix? How do I choose a location for the additional labels?

One way is to edit the first mapanno template and add another tag, you can place it where ever you want in relationship to the first tag. You can have as many tags as you wish, it's just like a block with attributes other than you have to select the point to insert them vs place below previous.

Another way is instead of using centriod use the label point but add the text height plus. With polygons the label and centroid are the same (unless it's a weird shape polygon).

I reccomnd the edit the anno template that way any updates are done with one update.

• 3 months later...

Mr. Murph - Your instruction has been immensely helpful to me in my question to label these darn blocks. However, I am stumped as to "edit the first mapanno template and add another tag". When I type mapannotemplate into my command line, I get a dialogue box that has an option to 'Edit Template Contents". When I click that, I am back in the Block editor, scratching my head and wondering what to type/select/do. I tried MapAnntext at this point, then clicked enter twice to create a new annotation. However, when I do this I have to create a new Tag, which I don't want to do, as I am trying to edit an exiting tag. BUT, when I click the 'Value' that appears in my block editor (in this case the value I chose from the hillbilly family tree when I originally created the Tag), instead of creating a new one, it is now using the value name as the tag name and some type of definition as the Value. (Say wha?? ) Hows about you fire up that wizard wand and sprinkle some magic on my confusion. Graci.

Are you just wanting to change the current tag and value or add a new value. For ex. you have OD data "Cost" and OD data "Value", your current template uses COST and you want it to be Value or do you want it to be both Cost and Value?