Annoying Consequence of SOLDRAW

dtaylor

So I'm using AutoCAD 2012 and SOLDRAW is fairly common command for me. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, or why it happens, but every time I run the SOLDRAW command mysteriously my OSNAP gets turned off. Any idea why this happens?

I recently discovered viewbase, but haven't looked into it much. The first thing I noticed about it was that it restricts where your views are placed (except for isometric views). I cant, for example, place an elevation view of a structure directly to the right of a plan view. As for other commands, I'm familiar with them, I just have never molded them into my routine.

I just couldn't understand why osnap gets turned off.

Edited by dtaylor

I don't recall having any problem with placing views using View Base. Can you post a copy of your drawing?

The Osnap thing is a minor annoyance as far as I am concerned. That's why we have the F3 key.

I recently discovered viewbase, but haven't looked into it much. The first thing I noticed about it was that it restricts where your views are placed (except for isometric views). I cant, for example, place an elevation view of a structure directly to the right of a plan view. As for other commands, I'm familiar with them, I just have never molded them into my routine.

I just couldn't understand why osnap gets turned off.

With VIEWBASE you can move your orthogonal views around freely, by breaking the alignment from the parent view. As you first set up those views they are generated in orthogonal positions with the alignment to the parent fixed. It can be broken and realigned at will once you understand it.

Just remember that if you use a VIEWBASE generated drawing and send it to anyone who is not on AUTOCAD 2012 or Inventor, they won't be able to see the generated drawings.

BAD INFORMATION, sorry. If you have the latest version of the free Autodesk download DWG Trueview on your computer you will be able to open VIEWBASE images in older versions of Autocad.

view alignment.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

• 1 month later...

Thank you Dadgad. I hadn't investigated it enough it seems.

Not that it matters much, but the original bug I asked about is still apparent in AutoCAD 2013. Just an fyi

Thank you Dadgad. I hadn't investigated it enough it seems.

Not that it matters much, but the original bug I asked about is still apparent in AutoCAD 2013. Just an fyi

Soldraw and Solview are the reasons SOLPROF came along, which I like, Viewbase is much faster still, and there have been some nice new advancements in Autocad 2013, Section functionality and what acts like Weldments in Solidworks. I don't think that anybody at Autodesk has put much energy into tweaking SOLDRAW in about 5 years, as it has been eclipsed repeatedly. Try Viewbase one time and you will forget all about SOLDRAW. My previous post was flawed. Viewbase generated images can be shared with earlier versions of Autocad than 2012, but the recipient must have the free Autodesk download DWG Truview 2012, or more accurately the latest one, so as to get the most out of them. 2013 has a new filetype which is a good thing to remember when sharing drawings. :wink:

No bug of the type you mention in my version of 2012. Just tested it. Double-checked that my Osnaps were enabled after running SOLVIEW but before running SOLDRAW. Ran SOLDRAW and immediately upon completion I invoked the Line command and there was my endpoint osnap already to go.

So I'm using AutoCAD 2012 and SOLDRAW is fairly common command for me. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, or why it happens, but every time I run the SOLDRAW command mysteriously my OSNAP gets turned off. Any idea why this happens?

do you hit escape to exit the command?

Yes, I did.

I've noticed that sometimes this happens depending on where you 'escape' from the command, you may be going further through the command than he is, if that nmakes sense lol