+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Default lines types, dimension styles etc.

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

In the last two days I have done 42 detail drawings for a customer of mine. The company I work as a lisp routine/program to bring line types and dimension styles into a new drawing. The program works pretty well. I don't know where they got it from. But the program was written for inches. The customer I have been working for the last few days wants all of his drawings in metric. I lost a few minutes in each drawing having to change the ltscale setting, and the dimension style properties in each drawing. How does everyone else start a new drawing and bring in the line types, dimension styles etc?

Computer Details
    rickh's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    W7 x64
    RAM:
    8G
    Graphics:
    1G
    Discipline
    Structural
    rickh's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Designer
    Discipline
    Structural
    Using
    Civil 3D 2011

with a template (.dwt)

get one drawing exactly how you want it, then save as a .dwt. Then when you start a new drawing, use this as the starting template. Use File->New instead of Qnew so you can browse to the newly created template.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Quote Originally Posted by rickh View Post
    with a template (.dwt)

get one drawing exactly how you want it, then save as a .dwt. Then when you start a new drawing, use this as the starting template. Use File->New instead of Qnew so you can browse to the newly created template.
    rickh is right on the mark, and it is dead simple, so get used to doing it. In that way all of the text and dimension styles, layers, linetypes, table styles, the drawing sheet and just about anything else that you can think of (and are represented) in your drawing are saved into your new .DWT (template).

Just be sure to give it a name that you will remember, use the dropdown file type menu when you do your SAVEAS, and select file type autoCAD Drawing Template (*.DWT)
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Quote Originally Posted by swats View Post
    In the last two days I have done 42 detail drawings for a customer of mine. The company I work as a lisp routine/program to bring line types and dimension styles into a new drawing. The program works pretty well. I don't know where they got it from. But the program was written for inches. The customer I have been working for the last few days wants all of his drawings in metric. I lost a few minutes in each drawing having to change the ltscale setting, and the dimension style properties in each drawing. How does everyone else start a new drawing and bring in the line types, dimension styles etc?
    If it will be a metric drawing, be sure to start with a metric template!
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

And, if I may add, use the metric linetype file not the imperial version.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

I have a related question. I always dimension in paper space. I use solview/soldraw to create my orthographic views. There scale is always 1:1. Then I scale up/down my title blocks to fit, after they are inserted as a block. My question is, how do you handle the overall scale of the dimensions? I use multiple dimension styles for fractional, two place, and three place dimensions. Would I still have to go into the dimension styles and change the overall dimension scale?

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I place all dimensions in my paper space layouts and it only requires the use of one dimension style. One. It seems you are creating extra work for yourself. Work smarter...not harder.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Mark you have been helpful. I work in the tooling industry. The company I work for uses different dimension styles if a dimension is a two place decimal or three place decimal. Holes are called out as a fractional, unless a tolerance is needed. I do all my detailing in paper space. I could put more than one dimension style into a template drawing to handle the different dimension styles. When I do a drawing I create my solview/soldraw views. Insert my title block, and then scale it up depending on the size of the part to be detailed. For example I had to scale up my title by four. Then would I still have to go into my different dimension styles, go to the fit tab and change the overall scale to four? So when the drawing is printed for build you can still see the dimension arrows and be able to read the text easily.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    Primary Storage:
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    See details...
    Occupation
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

My single dimension style is based in real world units. Text is either .0938 or .125 in height. Arrowheads are .125 in length. Offsets for extension lines and such are .09375.

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Mark do you then use the dimscale command to change the dimensions size to match the scale of the title block?