Do you care about other CAD software news?

Jack325

There are numerous CAD software products and we can see different news on the professional CAD websites. I’d like to see this different information in my spare time. I’m wondering if you also interested in the information of other CAD software besides the news relate to the software you currently use.

I do read up on other CAD software mainly to know what other alternatives are out there. Why do you ask? Are we going to have another discussion about NanoCAD?

Ralph Grabowski's eZine is where I get a lot of my information and yes, NanoCAD has been mentioned.

I don't. Our parent company decrees that we use AutoCAD Electrical 2011 (although we may have soon to revert to 2008 ) so that is all I am interested in. I don't have time at work to read about other software and I have no interest in CAD when I get home.

Only in a very general sense. It's sometimes interesting to see what someone else has come up with, but I have invested considerable money and time in the products I use and have no plans to change. I go browse the other sites from time to time but I certainly wouldn't read a daily or weekly blurb about other products. I get in excess of 100 emails a day at times, and the last thing I want in my inbox is advertising for any product, cad or otherwise. When that happens, the sender gets added to the junk folder.

I do read up on other CAD software mainly to know what other alternatives are out there. Why do you ask? Are we going to have another discussion about NanoCAD?

Ralph Grabowski's eZine is where I get a lot of my information and yes, NanoCAD has been mentioned.

The information about NanoCAD is valuable. But even all news are about products and services. It would be better if there are other news about the industry, trends, etc.

I would have to say no as well. This is an autocad forum. We have other sections where people can ask about other products but as for a new news feed on other CAD programs well that would seem to me like nothing more than advertising. I am sure these other products have venues where they can discuss their product and news about it.

It's a hard one.

In the good old days we used to wait for CadUser, Cadence and Cadalyst Mags to come out and read them cover to cover. It was our only way and yes there was advertising, so we got information about other products. Software and hardware. Some great LISP code, Some I still use.

We got into BBS and Newsgroups, CompuServe. I remember dialing into CompuServes Sydney node at 9600bps as this was faster than any in New Zealand. You had to know what you wanted to pay international tolls. I liked the openess of newsgroups like alt.cad You were not restructed and I learnt & shared a lot in the 90's.

I was a founding member of our local AutoCAD User group; Even there we openly discussed other products and 3rd party apps. (before apps were cool & mobiles were still bricks) Things like the on-screen tablet from Rasterex, then required you to use their graphic cards - this lead onto the toolbars in AutoCAD for Windows. Products developed in Norway that I would never have seen if it wasn't for open discussion and interest in CAD and computing.

Guess it's Mike's call on if CADtutor is just AutoCAD or can handle some other products. At least here you are not going to have your post removed if you say you don't think Autodesk makes the best product, or name an alternative. Try mentioning Csoft's WiseImage (raster leader for 15 years) in an Autodesk raster or mapping forumn and see how long it stays up.

I have already indicated that I don't care what else is out there, I use AutoCAD so I come here for AutoCAD help. As it is there is far too much 3D for me so I don't post anywhere near as often as I used to but if the AutoCAD content got diluted any more I'm not sure I'd continue even at my current level.

A few years back we had one contributer who would start every answer with "you should use Rhino to do that". Rhino may have been the correct software to use in some cases but this is (was?) an AutoCAD site. If you are constantly being told that you are using the wrong tools - especially when they are provided for you - you don't listen for very long. (He got banned but took a long time contributor with him as the two of them got into abusive posts.)

The other products that have sub areas here are seen as helper programs for AutoCAD. As far as I know there is no sub forum for any AutoCAD clone.

(He got banned but took a long time contributor with him as the two of them got into abusive posts.)

I remember those days. It kept me away from the site for a long time.