Lighten PDF Underlay

jmerch

I haven't used PDF Underlays very much as we're always given CAD backgrounds. In this case, I used them to quickly put in since we won't get CAD files. However, they are scanned PDF's so they are essentially raster images. They have jagged lines, etc.

Is there a way to just lighten these when plotting so I can still use them as my background? or should I just bite the bullet and trace them to get actual ACAD lines to be able to control in plotting?

yes, doesn't help. the scanned lines still show up as dark as they were plotted. I'm guessing there is no way around this since it's pretty much a raster image...

I always convert to monochrome TIFF. The reasons:

1. TIFF can inherit the color properties of the layer it's on, including colors that are set to screen in your CTB/STB plot style.
  2. The performance is much better than PDF, albeit still not perfect.

Here's the online converter I use: http://pdf.my-addr.com/free-online-pdf-to-tiff-convert.php

If you still want to use PDF, then try using the Transparency setting to see if that works.