Can acad architecture model this?

NTMinh

Welcome to the forum, and the deep end of the pool.

In 25 words or less? No.

Can it be done? Almost certainly, but it will be a pretty steep learning curve.

There may be other programs better suited to the task.

Good luck with it.

I'll take the opposite view. I think it could be done but since I do not use that particular program I could not tell you where to start. Not quite sure what aspect of it would be "parametric" though.

ReMark my 'No' was directed toward the question in the body of the post, could I explain how to do it, within a self imposed word limit. No.

I am saying that it could be done, but no cakewalk. I believe the conspicuous first glance parameter would be the absence of any rectilinear elements, which obviously slows things right down, but provides great visual interest.

:) wel I'm newbabie here,

sorry for my bad english. "parametric" is searching word,that I use for google. I'm thinking about steel structure of stadium, or gridshell ... :> not sure in english

I see that Acad can model a surface with curve baselines but I'm not sure how to make it look like a real gridshell. I found on google that Grasshopper, rhino, achicad... could do this. So I wonder can Acad do this or not?

Now I guess that we have to use different program for finish our job :)

thank all :)!

Not so fast, ReMark and I don't typically use the Architectural desktop, there are plenty of members on the forum who are better equipped to address your question, just be patient. We are both saying that we believe it can be done. Perhaps REVIT would be better for this, but don't give up on Autocad Architectural so quickly. There is also a Rhino forum on CadTutor too! :)

I would imagine that any 3D modeling program could be used to model that geometry.

But parametric refers to the ability to edit by simply changing dimensions/geometric constraints. Only certain CAD programs can do that. I have never used AutoCAD Architecture - but I would expect that the parametric model could be made in that software.

But the direct question, "Can AutoCAD Architecture Model This?"

No - only the user can create the model using the tool. If you are looking for an "Easy Button" solution there isn't one. You will have to become very familiar with one of the CAD tools. I'm guessing 6-18 months minimum effort in learning how to do this. Maybe less if you can get others to solve parts of the design for you.

well you could try something along the lines of modeling it in a box par say. As if just dropping a ball in a box and using the outer edges of the box you can gauge the dimensions of each intersection.

but its still a monumental task

well you could try something along the lines of modeling it in a box par say. As if just dropping a ball in a box and using the outer edges of the box you can gauge the dimensions of each intersection.

I didn't get any of that? Can you post an example. We spend all this time learning to communicate with geometry - let's communicate with geometry.

I can tell you that if I were modeling this I would take a photograph from the top and front views and then place those with appropriate plane orientation into the file to use for reference. I would scale the images to correct size (understanding that there will be some parallax error) and use to create my parametric curves that I will then dimension based on actual measurements (the images will get me close).

Probably the easiest way to tackle this problem would be to use ParaCloud GEM in conjunction with either SketchUp (using Ruby script add-ons) or Rhino. Unfortunately, GEM doesn’t interface very well with AutoCAD, particularly the newer 3d objects in AutoCAD. Website: http://www.paracloud.com/

The next easiest solution would be to use Rhino Grasshopper as you mentioned earlier. This choice would also provide the most parametric control over the model.

A third option is to use Rhino with RhinoScripts that you can download from the internet. Though not parametric, the results of this method can be quite pleasing as you can see here: http://www.architizer.com/en_us/projects/view/tex-fab-digital-fabrication-competition-proposed-assembly/18249/

All three options will require you to understand the 3d modeling capabilities of the CAD platform you use. JD Mather is quite correct when he says there really isn’t an easy way to do it!

DesignScript for AutoCAD was first publicly announced at Autodesk University 2010.

It's still under development but when it does become available it will bring parametric capabilities to AutoCAD similer to the way Grasshopper does for Rhino.

No idea when it'll be released, I've been waiting over a year now!

FormZ Version 7 is in beta and it has tools to easily create ribs in one direction.

To get the ribs to go in two directions like your example you have to run a script which you can download from their website.

Unfortunately, the script only runs with version 6 (last time I checked) so you'll have to use the older less intuitive GUI. The version 7 beta is really worth a look.