Is SkechUp the right tool?

myself

Hello there, here I am again with a hell of a problem in hands. I would like to know your opinions about “google skecthup”. The project where I’ve been working on,is composed by two buildings, the main one and a secondary, I’ve been working on the main one and my superiors decided to send the secondary to be made on other company. The problem now is that they are working on google skecthup”. Today they sent me the first files, I opened and then exported to dwg. My opinion so on is that the information doesn’t seem to be accurate as drawings created on autocad, firstly because at the conversion a window popped up saying that some parts were not able to be exported exactly as they are, and then because when opening on autocad, the information is all stored as blocks, the objects do not obtain any intelligence by assuming to be doors, walls, windows,etc… . Anyway, the real problem now is to know how will I manage this coordination from now on. I know that there’s a lot of people using thisprogram, but do you really see it as an engineer software?

I’ll bearound to hear from you ;)

Personally, I wouldn't use Sketchup to do accurate design work but I'm probably in the minority. Don't get me wrong. It's a good program to use for presentations.

That’s exactly what i think, seems to me an interesting program to make some presentations, however not enough when you pretend to create a model of a building with generous dimensions. i wouldnt say just dimension, but if you want to get some accuracy from your work, i believe that task demands a different program. This of course is the opinion of a person that barely knows the program in question.

SketchUp can be almost as accurate as AutoCAD if the user makes it be. I mean I can draw a building/model in SU to at a precision of 1/64". Sure not as precise as AutoCAD but in an architectural model it doesn't need to be made with that kind of precision as the building won't be build with that kind of precision. I think you are seeing bad modeling by the user and not a reflection of the application. Now SU can't do real curves, never has been able to. This is about the only real short coming of SU that I can think of. Is it AutoCAD? No way and it is not meant to be. I've used SU to make buildings down to cabinets. Like any tool it is what you put into it. :) Hope this helps.

In further reading of your 1st post I see you talk about intelligent objects. No SU will not have these like AutoCAD Arch or Revit Arch. Are these items your firm needs? Anyway hit me up with your questions. I've used ACAD for 18+ years and SU for almost 10 years (yes, it's been out that long).

I think the main problem is you have two different firms using two different approaches on the same building project. I think this could lead to some problems. Maybe I'm being an alarmist here?

Different programs could most possibly lead to compatibility issues. Sketchup i think is too basic for your needs. but it is also very accurate in terms of dimensions.

• 4 months later...

I agree with the Remark ....Sketchup is very helpful for graphing, designing and also for the presentation on any topic....i think its good thing for those people whose do work in right manner..thanks