Problems with a dynamic block

Kelly-cruise

Hi all

I have created a dynamic block of our companies Stage section. The block is set up as a rectangular array using XY parameters.

The block itself works fine however I created block attributes in the block dwg to display its measurements using the Distance x and Distance y totals.

When inserting the block into a new drawing I need to explode the block in order for the array to work, however this also means that the text is no longer locked to the block. is there a way around this?

Kind regards

Michael.

I have created a dynamic block of our companies Stage section. The block is set up as a rectangular array using XY parameters.

The block itself works fine however I created block attributes in the block dwg to display its measurements using the Distance x and Distance y totals.

When inserting the block into a new drawing I need to explode the block in order for the array to work, however this also means that the text is no longer locked to the block. is there a way around this?

I placed this post in the general and was asked to post the dwg. So here it is

Stage with dimentions AV.dwg

The reason you need to explode your block is because you have burried the dynamic block within the text block thus making it unaccessible. Unfortunately putting the fields in the dynamic block doesn't work as the distance parameters are only available at block construction time, not at block insertion time so you are again trapped.

There are wor-rounds to this problem (search for repeated attributes and you might find them) but I have always found them to be too complicated to be viable.

There may be a way to achieve what you want but it is not obvious.

and I have just had another quick look and I think you have too many blocks within blocks. There is no need to make a block out of the stage polyline that I can see.

It has taken me some time to remember how to do this but try this...

AV Stagev3.dwg

I have changed the MText fields into attributes which exposes the distances. You need to REGEN the drawing once you have stretched it and YOU MUST NOT delete the data in the attribute field.

Thank you for the fix,

I was wondering in the AVstagev3 dwg you have made the block more a polyline, i figure this is to get around the need to explode the block on insertion. Great Idea.

The having to Regen the drawing it see the values in the attributes was something else I wondered if it was possible to have the values regenerate as they are being moved along the xy coordinates.? This feature I think is a more of a would like to have if possible.

Once again thank you for your help.

It has taken me some time to remember how to do this but try this...

[ATTACH]34515[/ATTACH]

I have changed the MText fields into attributes which exposes the distances. You need to REGEN the drawing once you have stretched it and YOU MUST NOT delete the data in the attribute field.