Dimension offset - what setting controls this?

Hi guys,

Hopefully a pretty simple one today.

Just wondering if anyone can please let me know what dimension setting controls the distance in which dimension text is offset when it doesn't fit between extension lines.

Please see attached image for example.

Dimension%20Offset.JPG

Cheers.

That GAP is controlled by the size of the ARROW in the dimstyle. If you override the text location (MOVE TEXT ONLY) you can put it wherever you want to. If you hover over the blue grip in the center of your dimension a drop down menu will appear, select MOVE TEXT ONLY, then you can put it wherever you want to. :)

I forgot if that drop down menu was there in 2010 or not, if not, then select your dimension and in the right click shortcut menu you will find the TEXT POSITION option, which will give you the drop down menu.

DIMGAP is the real key in the software, although the size of the arrow factors into the total equation as shown in the second attachment.

move text only.JPG

dimgap.JPG

Thanks a lot for the reply Dadgad.

I understand i can move text manually, but it is really not practical for my situation.

I played around with the DIMGAP variable, and now i realise that is also controls for far from the baseline the dimension text sits - which i would rather not alter. Are you aware of any other way to reduce this GAP without changing the arrow size, or moving manually?

Also... What is that "System Variables" dialogue box? Looks pretty handy.

Cheers.

The DIMGAP variable setting CERTAINLY DOES control the DIMENSION TEXT OFFSET, which you can also specify on the TEXT tab of the MODIFY DIM STYLE DIALOG, as shown in the image.

If you enter SYSVDLG at the commandline it will call up all of the system variables available in the software, and what all of the available settings do.

Your time would be well spent to look through these, as there is no end to different ways that the system can be configured through the use of different variables.

Before you start changing a bunch of stuff you might want to do a save all .SVF, which will create a record of your settings before you start experimenting, just in case you later find yourself wanting to reverse your recent changes. Or you can just take good notes, but it is better to have a .svf record, which you can use to apply those settings elsewhere, without wasting a lot of time, or in case of a catastrophic meltdown of your software or computer. You can keep it on a flashdrive, and if you need to use someone else's machine you can set up a new user profile and apply those .svf system variable file settings. Better make sure you have also saved the current settings to another .svf file first though, so you can reset them when you are through using that machine. Always best to do it on your own machine first a few times, so you know how to do it, and ask permission of the person who owns the computer.

You can also access this from EXPRESS TOOLS on your menu bar >TOOLS, where you will also find the ALIAS EDITOR which is another great express tool.

dim line offset.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

hi again Dadgad,

I hate to be argumentative - but i think this DIMENSION TEXT OFFSET setting is the DIMGAP variable. They affect each other (or are the same thing).

Thanks again for the great advice regarding the SYSVAR dialogue. Looks like I've got some 'playing around' to be doing.

Cheers.

hi again Dadgad,

I hate to be argumentative - but i think this DIMENSION TEXT OFFSET setting is the DIMGAP variable. They affect each other (or are the same thing).

Thanks again for the great advice regarding the SYSVAR dialogue. Looks like I've got some 'playing around' to be doing.

Cheers.

I stand corrected, and should I choose to disavow the truth in pursuit of some vain glory, that would be pretty sad, wouldn't it?

I always set it in my DIM STYLE, rather than through the system variable dialogue, so had never noticed the connection.

When I read the description, it did not appear to be the case, but having just checked, I concur whole heartedly with your assessment.

Having just reset my text offset to 3.649 in the dimension style dialog and then checked my dimgap, only to find that it was 3.649, I think we can pretty safely surmise that you are right, and I was mistaken. :beer:

There is nothing argumentative about being correct.

There are so many great optional behaviors for commands we use all day, every day, that it is fun to ponder the possibilities and the subtleties beyond DEFAULT settings.

We all work in our own ways.

Thanks for letting me know. I am pretty good with dim styles, and this is good food for thought. :)

No worries, thanks again Dadgad, I always enjoy exchanging and sharing ideas and understandings.

Ill keep you posted if I manage to figure out how to affect the lateral movement of the dimension text.

Thanks again.

I believe Dadgad got it right with the first sentence of the first reply. AutoCAD draws the arrowhead, then adds a "tail" that's at least as long as the arrowhead block, then the text begins. The only option that I'm aware of to move the text closer to the extension line is to use a smaller arrowhead, or move the dimension text manually, as suggested previously.

Hi nestly,

thanks a lot for the reply. After doing a little experimenting, it does seem that the DIMGAP variable and the arrowhead size are the only ways to influence this gap (except manually moving text).

Thats a bit of a drag, because I would rather not reduce the DIMGAP or the arrowhead size, when this gap needs to be reduced, I have been moving the text manually - but that is not always required.

I was really just hoping there would be a quick fix - directed only at the dimension offset, without affecting any of the other dimension properties.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip Geordie.

Ill play around with a custom oblique arrowhead and let you know how I go.

Thanks again.